Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Pre-1997 F150 > 1987 - 1996 F150 > Electrical
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wiper Governor Module or Wiper Motor?

My '89 F150 has a wiper issue. Occasionally over the past 2 years, wipers would not work without a "tap" on the wiper motor. Then the wipers began working erratically. Stopping, starting, running choppy. They worked better on the slow speed; in the faster speed setting, they were more likely to start skipping and chopping (the switch is slow and fast, no intermittent setting).
The choppiness sounds like what I've read about the wiper governor module needing a resoldering, but the fact that I had to tap the motor to get things going has me unsure of what is what. I've looked all around the fusebox for the governor and can't find it. Maybe in the '89 it's behind the glovebox? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
fordtruckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
We'd do it

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Just call me Sean

You turn the **** the other direction for intermittent. The module is down the wires from the switch.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #3

Default Wiper Motor...

My 91 had wipers that acted in a similar way - I decided just to replace the wiper motor and now everything works great!

CARDONE SELECT Part # 85299 {#E7TZ17508A} New Wiper Motor Click the image to open in full size. Front; with 2 Plug Motor; Motor without Washer Pump

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=8824

- I took the old motor apart since there was no core charge and discovered what the problem was: One of the permanent magnets for the motor had become dislodged (Un-glued) from the motor housing and was sticking to the armature! FWIW - there might be another way but I couldn't figure it out, so I ended up removing the wiper blade assemblies and the cowl between the windshield and the hood to get everything unbolted - kind of a PITA and it helps if you have a friend to help.

Last edited by ToddsSS; 08-01-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: sp
ToddsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Thanks. Turned all the way to the left the switch does nothing. In the other 2 settings, there is clicking and the battery gauge moves a little. Since the motor did used to work after a smack, guess I should pursue that.
fordtruckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM