Topic Sponsor

Where to install aftermarket gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to install aftermarket gauges?

Where do you guys put your aftermarket gauges? I would like to get aftermarket gauges for oil press, water temp and voltage but I'm not too keen on doing the triple pillar thing since I'm not driving a turbo'd mitsubishi eclipse ha ha.

I searched and couldn't find anything useful.

Edit: 92 XLT

Last edited by TrevMill; 09-02-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trucks do it all the time. Not just little ricers, in my '08 I just picked up an EVO to fix the sloshbox a bit but in my last newer truck ('05 Dodge 2500 4x4 qc/sb 5.9L Cummins/NV5600 manual) I had a single pillar boost and a column mount EGT. Still have all the extras I put on it for when I may purchase one again, plus a 2 gauge column mount that never got put on it that was going to get some other gauge I can't remember right now, possibly FRP. Havn't ran across much for the 1/2 tons for nice gauge setups outside of digital myself. I like most of what the EVO can show me, but it still leaves out something as simple as oil pressure, and everything is just a number vs the nice manual gauge with a needle.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you've got an 87-91 I think the flat spot on the dash above the radio/HVAC controls would work nicely...If you're not comfortable drilling holes in your dash (I'm not) then an A-pillar gauge pod is probably the way to go.

Could mount them under the ashtray but then you'd have to take your eyes off the road to see them.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

A voltage gauge is the biggest waste of money. why not do a trans temp gauge? Or something that is not already used in the dash.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Brodyf150
A voltage gauge is the biggest waste of money. why not do a trans temp gauge? Or something that is not already used in the dash.
I have never owned a vehicle that had stock gauges that were as inconsistent as the ones in my f150. The oil pressure is different everytime I drive the truck, so is the voltage, and yes so is the water temp. Having an accurate voltage gauge is vital to me, it can help you diagnose that you having a failing/failed alternator and keep you from getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Well ever since I can remember all my cars have been 12 volts. I would way rather spend 20 bucks on a volt/ohm meter than 120 on a special lit up gauge. You can do what you want with your truck. I just can't justify spending that money for a gauge I already have.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Gauge Locations?

Unless you want to start cutting up the factory instument cluster about the only options ar on top the dash or in the A pillar. Low mounts under dash would be very difficult to see.
Here are some of your options:
http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1...sh/gauge_pods/

One or two low on the A Pillar might look OK - Three would be pushing it...My Vote would be on dash above radio.

ToddsSS, Benton AR
1991 XLT Lariat, 5.8L, E40D, Reg. Cab, Long Bed

Quick Reply: Where to install aftermarket gauges?