Topic Sponsor

What plugs in here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plugs in here?

I am about to start working on my new 89 F150, see if I can get it running. When I got it, the driver's side kick panel was off and it looked like the computer was removed at some point. Everything seems to be hooked up, but right by the computer there are three plugs stacked.

The middle one has nothing plugged in to it. Is it supposed to? Everything seems to be together in the truck, except that kick panel being off. Just want to be sure I have everything taken care of before I'm chasing my tail.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Factory came with allot of unused plugs, either for testing purposes, optional or add on features that are plug and play to the harness.

Post a picture of the plugs and we can see if something is missing.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Here is a pic. The middle plug.
Attached Thumbnails What plugs in here?-2014-02-21-07.14.39.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Well, worked on the truck a little today. Something is definitely going up electrically.

The battery was old and shot, so I put a different battery in it that I know is good, but was low from sitting. I hooked jumper cables up to it and pulled the coil wire so I could turn it over a bit to get the oil moving before firing it off. It turned a few times, so then I reconnected the coil wire. After that it turned REALLY slowly and the positive terminal sparked and smoked every time I turned the key. It only did it when I turned the key.

Definitely a wiring problem somewhere, going to check the line down to the starter and see if it is grounding on something.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure sounds like a short pulling some serious amps where it shouldn't be ---- were you able to pull any codes?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgot to ask --- those cables going to the starter ok (high impedance will cause a slow crank)?? If they're ok, next is to do a starter test --- load and no load to see if the windings, armature, etc are ok............the other area is the neutral start switch (if automatic) or clutch interlock switch and starter relay which are right in the middle of this circuit......
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM

So we worked on it a bit today, I think it needs a new cable from the battery to the starter solenoid. Going to fix that tonight and see what happens.

Quick Reply: What plugs in here?