Topic Sponsor

Turn signal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turn signal Issue

I'm having an issue with my turn signals. the side markers don't work and the turn signals flash fast and only tick 2 times when you turn them on. Tried replacing the bulbs in one to see if it would even light up before i went out and bought new bulbs. It still didn't work. Where can i go from here?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

BUlbs, flasher, or the switch would be your only real options (could be fuse but that's super easy to eliminate). Test hot side of flasher for constant power with switch on, if yes switch is good. Test signal out side of flasher, if signal then flasher is good.

FWIW:
Get your bulbs online, got all new exterior+interior+dash bulbs for around what it would cost just for two headlight bulbs.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

That is a great site for bulb part #s.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
BUlbs, flasher, or the switch would be your only real options (could be fuse but that's super easy to eliminate). Test hot side of flasher for constant power with switch on, if yes switch is good. Test signal out side of flasher, if signal then flasher is good.

FWIW:
Get your bulbs online, got all new exterior+interior+dash bulbs for around what it would cost just for two headlight bulbs.

Would you happen to know which color wire is which?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by fltdriver

FWIW:

truck is in the shop tomorrow getting an exhaust leak looked at when I get it back I will run those tests. Hopefully its something simple. also have lot of other issues like reverse lights not working and my radio and cruise and horn. none of those work but i haven't looked into any of those issues yet. i visually check all fuses and they appear ok. one fuse location under the hood was missing a fuse and had a jumper wire installed... i removed the wire and haven't noticed any changes.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Even if the fuses look good they could be bad, I've had fuses that snapped due to something while no power was flowing so they never "popped" but they had undetectable crack that prevented power from flowing. Just swap a known good fuse in for the items with issues just to double check, or if you have multimeter you can check to ensure current flow.

I don't know wire colors for those and don't have anything saved to the PC, but google should lead you in the right direction.

Also if you have other lighting electrical issues don't automatically think that they are separate issues, consider the fact that they could have a common thread.

Cruise and horn are probably related to air bag clock spring, that was the first thing I had to replace on my truck when I got her. Should be getting a flashing code on the airbag light.

If radio is factory then it may be shot or fuse is gone, if it's aftermarket I would double check the wiring as it sounds like the PO didn't give a crap when he made repairs/installs (jumper wire is never cool and can easily cause a fire or burn up critical components).

Reverse lights not working either: check wiring, damaged wiring to rear lights can cause both problems, also burnt bulbs same thing. DON"T forget about your third brake light, those things tend to cause issues when either of the three bulbs go out in it.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Ford Accessories Manager

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts

It maybe says in your signature, but I can't see that on my phone....what year is your truck? Multi function switches are pretty common on some newer ones.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ExpresswayFord
It maybe says in your signature, but I can't see that on my phone....what year is your truck? Multi function switches are pretty common on some newer ones.
1996 f150 5 speed 4.9L. And I have a multimeter and will continue doing checks. I do have a flashin. airbag light as well how do I read the code?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 PM

I've read about the clockspring
Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Pull the black housing around your column and make sure stuff is even plugged in properly. Some people get in there and don't have a clue what they're doing.
Small torx to change the multi function switch. They cause a lot of different issues when they go.
A new flasher would be worth a try for what they cost. They do get old and worn out.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 AM

I bought a new flasher but my radiator ffinally bit the bullet so I havent messed with the flasher yet. Waiting on radiator to show up. Plus I just finished installing a head on a Saturn and now dealing with my gfs car as well I never have time to work on the truck

Quick Reply: Turn signal Issue