Topic Sponsor

truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck wont start

my truck has been having this problem. it's not my daily driver but I want to fix this problem so I keep the miles off my daily. everytime I turn the ignition to run it just clicks. I've replaced the battery. the solenoid. and I put a volt meter on the starter and said 12.78 volts. I've also replaced the ignition on the steering colum as the old key was warn really bad. anyone's help will help.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you cleaned all of the electrical connections and put dielectric grease on them? Has the power cable to the starter been replaced recently? Corrosion can travel inside the casing if it's not sealed properly. Might look like a good cable, when it's actually worn.

Clean grounds are a must as they are the biggest electrical gremlin for vehicles. You should have at least 3.

1. Battery to frame (or motor)
2. Motor to frame
3. Body to frame (or motor)

Check these 3 to make sure they aren't broken or corroded as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Have you cleaned all of the electrical connections and put dielectric grease on them? Has the power cable to the starter been replaced recently? Corrosion can travel inside the casing if it's not sealed properly. Might look like a good cable, when it's actually worn. Clean grounds are a must as they are the biggest electrical gremlin for vehicles. You should have at least 3. 1. Battery to frame (or motor) 2. Motor to frame 3. Body to frame (or motor) Check these 3 to make sure they aren't broken or corroded as well.
I don't believe they've ever been replaced they look original.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 PM

the truck does start when it wants one day I'll go out and start it and it fires up no problem. the next day I'll go out and it'll just make a ticking noise
Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you ever wire brushed the contact points and put dielectric grease on them? Might be time to do it.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM

I haven't. thank you for your advise. I'll try it when I get home tomorrow and update if it did or not.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:05 PM

I got the truck to run and it doesn't do this anymore I forgot to check the ground wires but now it starts right up. I'm not sure what caused it to just start working. it's been cold and it would usually only start on warmer days or days when the sun was out. but now problem is fixed thank for your help now If it does it again I'll replace the grounds.

Quick Reply: truck wont start