Topic Sponsor

Truck dies, have to recycle key to start back up

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies, have to recycle key to start back up

I have a 1988 f150 302 5.0L. I'll be cruising down the road and the truck will shut off just like i turned the key off. All the dash lights come on and all the gauges drop. No warning, it just shuts off. I have to turn the key off and back on to start it again. I don't have to wait for the truck to cool down, it'll start right back up. I had this problem, intermittent spark, loss of power, misfire, weak spark, hesitation and then the truck wouldn't start, no fire. I replaced the ICM and the truck ran better than when i bought it. It fixed every problem but the shutting off. I have replaced fuel pumps, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, MAF, EGR, ignition coil, and ignition switch. New distributor cap, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. Have shook all the wires going from the ICM to the coil and from the ICM to the computer while the truck is running and it didn't shut off. Checked the TPS and had a good reading. It's extremely intermittent. It might happen ten times one day and then maybe not once for several days. I might be crazy but it seems to get worse when it's humid. The ICM had been replaced three months ago but i had to replace it again a week ago. I don't know if that is a coincidence or connected. I was thinking bad computer but I'm done just throwing money at it. You guys have any ideas?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First..pull codes. Could be the pick up in the distributor . Code 14 i think.,But check for codes before throwing any more parts at it. Are you using motorcraft parts ? You damn near have everything replaced already. lol
Old 05-18-2015, 06:57 PM

Pulled code 33 44 and 52. I think the egr sensor is bad as I replaced the egr valve about a month ago but I don't think that contributes to my problem.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM

And yes I am using Motorcraft parts
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM

I agree that those codes are not causing your problem. Kinda strange the module needed replacing again though. Thats why i asked about motorcraft parts. I would be tempted to replace the pick up even though it didn`t show up, but i understand your frustration with replacing parts. Being intermittent makes it difficult to pin it down. it certainly sounds like an ignition problem and it`s the only thing you haven`t replaced. Maybe somebody else can come up with another suggestion ..
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by FORD TUFF
I agree that those codes are not causing your problem. Kinda strange the module needed replacing again though. Thats why i asked about motorcraft parts. I would be tempted to replace the pick up even though it didn`t show up, but i understand your frustration with replacing parts. Being intermittent makes it difficult to pin it down. it certainly sounds like an ignition problem and it`s the only thing you haven`t replaced. Maybe somebody else can come up with another suggestion ..
I forgot to mention that the pick up was replaced
Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Well , Damn,that blows that idea. Maybe have a look at the computer, see if it stinks and open it up to see if its burning up. There`s a few posts about it but iv`e never seen it personally, and hope i never do. lol You might have to drive it till it finally quits long enough to pin it down so you don`t waste any more money
Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ignition switch? I have seen them go bad. Start truck and with it running wiggle key around very little.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by sam29078
Ignition switch? I have seen them go bad. Start truck and with it running wiggle key around very little.
I replaced it about two weeks ago
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you tried replacing the ECM or Fuel Pump Relays? I couldn't find direct replacements any place but at RockAuto.com

Quick Reply: Truck dies, have to recycle key to start back up