Topic Sponsor

Trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting

Hi all. The truck starts fine most of the time and then every so often all I get is a distinct "click" and nothing more. Doesn't matter if the truck has sat for 10 minutes or 10 days, still does the same thing every now and then. And finally after it goes I can turn it right off then start it immediately. Help please? Starter, alternator? What should I look for
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

I would start with the starter solenoid.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Possible dead spot in the starter. I had this issue and replaced the solenoid with no change. Changed the starter and no issue since. I would try to tap on the starter with a hammer and see if it will turn over next time it happens.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

The starter relay is on the fender, the solenoid is in the starter.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry I meant relay not solenloid.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Start your diagnostics with the battery. Remove the cable clamps and clean the connections. Use a multimeter to check voltage to the starter relay, and resistance to ground.
Last week I experienced the same thing except I also had no lights or instruments........Electrics were completely dead, yet my battery voltage checked out @ 12.7V.
Traced the problem to a bad negative terminal battery clamp so I modified a negative side post to top post adapter clamp to accept the 4 gauge and 10 gauge factory cables and inserted these cable ends (trimmed and clean) into the clamp. Finished up the repair with the careful application of heat supplied by a propane torch and some rosin core solder. Now I have a good connection and I have experienced NO trouble since this repair. The total cost was less than replacing the entire battery cable.
The following users liked this post:
Aktech (06-09-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM

If I crank the key really hard and fast it will turn over and start. That single out any particular problems?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you mean your trucks starting depends on how you turn the key? Like sometimes maybe the key switch isn't doing its job?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM

When I insert the key, if I first turn it to the on position and then crank to start there is less of a chance starting. However, if I insertthe key and crank hard to start, the starter turns over a few times and then all is swell. I've tried to single out my problems but after noticing this ivebeen thrown a curve.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGregB
When I insert the key, if I first turn it to the on position and then crank to start there is less of a chance starting. However, if I insertthe key and crank hard to start, the starter turns over a few times and then all is swell. I've tried to single out my problems but after noticing this ivebeen thrown a curve.
Greg, I threw you a fast ball, and you didn't swing at it. Now you complaining about being thrown a curve. Would you rather pay a hundred bucks to have a competent mechanic pinch hit for you?
With a multimeter check the voltage to the starter relay mounted near the battery. Also check voltage to the ignition switch (with the key turned on). This you'll find under the plastic shroud covering the steering column behind the steering wheel.

Last edited by DIY; 06-11-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added content

Quick Reply: Trouble starting