Topic Sponsor

Stop light fuse keeps blowing - 91 F-150

Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop light fuse keeps blowing - 91 F-150

I have a 1991 F-150 XLT Lariat, and the brake light fuse keeps blowing. I am guessing there is a short somewhere. A few months ago, I started to try to track it down with simple things, I replaced all the bulbs in the tail lights, and I looked at the trailer harness, and traced the wires back and found several splices, suitcase connectors, solder joints, etc. I cut all the added on wires off and sealed off the ends with electrical tape.

However, it still continues to pop the fuse. It seems to be more likely to happen if there is a change in temperature, or if it rains. Last night I drove the truck home from work in a light snow, and the lights were working in the parking lot, then when I pulled into my driveway, the lights were no longer working.

Is there a typical place to look for a spot where the wire has rubbed and work through the insulation? I took a look under the dash today, the wiring diagram shows the circuit goes from the the switch on the brake pedal, to the multifunction switch in the steering column, then out to the brake lights.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stop light fuse keeps blowing - 91 F-150