Topic Sponsor

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting issue

Hey guys I apologize if this is not the right forum to place this question but here it goes. So I am having starting issues. Engine turns on but does not turn over however, if I jump the solenoid it turns over. Everything from ignition to solenoid is new, solenoid is new, battery is new, starter is not new but was tested and it is fine. Bad wire somewhere from solenoid to starter? Wires are the only thing that have not been replaced. I have a '91 F150 5.0. Please help! Thanks guys!!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a few things like ,ignition switch,or linkage,or neutral safety switch ,or wiring ,.Have you tried starting it in neutral ? If it starts when you jump the solenoid,your not getting power to the small red/blue wire at the solenoid.

Last edited by FORD TUFF; 05-12-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[MENTION=205940]FORD TUFF[/MENTION] So I was having an issue with it not starting in park a while back but it would start in neutral so I replaced the neutral safety switch. I just went out to see if it would start but would not turn over in park or neutral. Again everything turns on but that is all. I jumped the solenoid and it started right up so then it must be that small red/blue wire on the top of the solenoid? Can I check that wire with a volt meter? Can I replace that wire? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well that should eliminate the safety switch then. You can use a meter or test light to check for power. Check the terminal plug as well,sometimes the wire breaks off inside the boot .Check for power a little before the plug,, Then i would check the ignition switch next, Pull the bottom cover of the dash to get better access to it ,as it is near the bottom of the steering column ..

Last edited by FORD TUFF; 05-12-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If it cranks by jumping the relay solenoid, the main starter circuit is good.
Your ignition switch is not providing power to that solenoid or the solenoid itself is faulty

Quick Reply: Starting issue