Topic Sponsor

Starter Won't Crank Over

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:55 AM
I dropped my wrench.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter Won't Crank Over

Hello community,

Alright, so I have a 1989 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat that has an electrical nightmare going on right now. It originally started as the ignition wouldn't allow the electrical system to fully shut off, leaving things like the fuel pump running, and I'd have to disconnect the battery cable. When I figured out the problem was the ignition switch (module on the steering column, not the key tumbler) I fixed it right away and had it shutting electrical off like it supposed to. Now, when trying to turn the engine over I hear a dull click noise towards the front of the vehicle and nothing happens. All accessories work properly such as windshield wipers, radio, and heater. But I am completely unsure what the issue is, as I have already had my battery tested at a local parts house and I have replaced the starter relay as well. I don't know if it could be the starter itself or something else. Tomorrow I'll inspect the starter to see if anything has dripped onto it.

Anybody have this happen before, or perhaps you know of a solution? This electrical problem is very annoying.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Mysterman68

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You can tap the starter with a hammer a few times and see if this "breaks" the starter loose. If it does, it's time for a new starter.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Have some cycle the ignition while you search for the source of the noise. Only time my truck did anything like this was because my battery cable ends were corroding, so I cut them off and replaced them after cleaning the cables and terminals. Still want to replace my cables though.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

The click you are hearing is the fender solenoid for the starter.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your best bet would be to just take the starter off. DO NOT TRY TO START THE TRUCK. I did this and almost ate my flywheel up because the housing on the starter actually broke off and was caught in the flywheel housing. If it would have turned over, it would have bent the flywheel. So just take the starter off and have it tested.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

I would test the fender solenoid first. If the key is on and you jump the terminals on the solenoid the truck should start, meaning the connections probably have gone bad inside of it. Also check you're battery cable to the starter.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I dropped my wrench.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried tappin' it with a hammer a few times and nothing comes off of it, however I think my problem is the fact that my valve cover gaskets have been leaking (as I have just now found out) and eventually dripped onto the starter. Perhaps I can have the starter itself load tested, but I'll check the connections to the starter while I'm at it.

SSM

Last edited by Seen Some Miles; 06-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter Won't Crank Over