Topic Sponsor

Speedometer starting ABS warning light

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer starting ABS warning light

My 1995 F-150 (straight six, 4x4 with overdrive) won't turn over. When I turn the key nothing happens. I jumped the solenoid on the fender and it started. I replaced the solenoid but it still would not start. At the same time the odometer and speedometer quit operating and the ABS warning light is on. I checked all the fuses and they were OK. I replaced the VSS on the exterior of the differential. This did nothing. I tested the neutral safety switch plug and it had minimal power to it.
Could it be the neutral safety switch? The truck has about 105,000 miles. Are these two problems related or coincidental?
Also there was no power in the wire from the ignition to the solenoid.
Installed a ancillary starter button to start the truck but when the truck is running I now get a check engine light and hard shifts of the automatic transmission.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lube Center
My 1995 F-150 (straight six, 4x4 with overdrive) won't turn over. When I turn the key nothing happens. I jumped the solenoid on the fender and it started. I replaced the solenoid but it still would not start. At the same time the odometer and speedometer quit operating and the ABS warning light is on. I checked all the fuses and they were OK. I replaced the VSS on the exterior of the differential. This did nothing. I tested the neutral safety switch plug and it had minimal power to it.
Could it be the neutral safety switch? The truck has about 105,000 miles. Are these two problems related or coincidental?
Also there was no power in the wire from the ignition to the solenoid.
Installed a ancillary starter button to start the truck but when the truck is running I now get a check engine light and hard shifts of the automatic transmission.
Pull codes
Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 AM

I have the exact same problem on my 5.0. I replaced VSS, Neutral Safety Switch, and solenoid. When I pull codes it still shows the NSS but I cant think of what else to do..
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 AM

I had auto parts store run codes. There were none! I replaced the ignition switch. No change.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Behind glove box is abs controller unplug this. If no change pick up a cluster at jy for 25 to 50. This has to be problem area as problem started when speedo stopped working. Still no fix dig into ignition switch on column.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Reds
I have the exact same problem on my 5.0. I replaced VSS, Neutral Safety Switch, and solenoid. When I pull codes it still shows the NSS but I cant think of what else to do..
Did they do a KOEO and KOER test? Just for info, the speedo/odo still doesn't work? Are there any other electronics that don't work (radio, interior light). Even if the fuses show good the connections could be bad or corroded or something or the wires on one or both sides of the fuse could be bad. The speedo not working and the hard shifts could be related. Whenever I blow fuse 8(IIRC) My speedo/odo stops working and I get hard shifts.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Martin

The speedo helps control tranny shifts.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Martin

The problem could be as simple as the Speedometer went junk.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
The problem could be as simple as the Speedometer went junk.
Could be, which is why you troubleshoot before you replace. Only spend what you have to.

Quick Reply: Speedometer starting ABS warning light