Topic Sponsor

Setting Ignition Timing - 1992 F150-4.9 Inline 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Setting Ignition Timing - 1992 F150-4.9 Inline 6

Question about setting timing..........does anyone have the steps to do this for this truck?

Also I have heard there is a way to do without a timing light by positioning the HB at the correct mark, with cyl#1 at TDC and using a meter...........just don't remember exactly how that method is done.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm not familiar with the method without a timing light.

With a timing light find the tab at the front of the engine, mark ten degrees BEFORE top dead center. Find the mark on the front engine pulley and make a white mark on it so it shows up better with the timing light. Remove the spout connector(very important) it should be somewhere by the drivers side hood hinge. Connect the timing light to the front spark plug wire. Start the engine, if it idles fast from being cold wait until it slows down. If not on 10* BTDC loosen the distributor hold down bolt and adjust the timing.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

88xlt

I need to make sure of where the spout connector is located............am I correct in saying that this is the equivalent of removing vacuum advance on non computer controlled advance?

So I looked up spout connector on google and am finding a small plug located close to the distributor with wires going to the distributor. Also see it located in different location.

Need to make sure I disconnect the correct thing.

Advise?
Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It's usually a small grey plug in the end of a connector that doesn't go anywhere. Often marked SPOUT. You just pull the little plug out of the end, set the base timing and plug it back in and the computer will take over the timing advance.
Yes, basically the same idea as disconnecting the vacuum advance.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by meppwc
88xlt

So I looked up spout connector on google and am finding a small plug located close to the distributor with wires going to the distributor. Also see it located in different location.

Need to make sure I disconnect the correct thing.

Advise?
It was located close to the distributor until they moved the ignition module over to the drivers side fenderwell. I believe in 1992 it was moved over to the fenderwell. Look by the hood hinge or on top of the fenderwell(drivers side). Chris described what it looks like, two little metal flat pieces on the bottom end you will see AFTER you pull it out.

Quick Reply: Setting Ignition Timing - 1992 F150-4.9 Inline 6