Topic Sponsor

Rough start and running tails not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough start and running tails not working

So i just got my first ford (91 f150 xlt lariat) and it is sweet! I wanted to go for a ride the other night and i went to go leave and noticed that the tails lights wouldnt come on (brake lights do work) and there is a rough start to it too. I have read some things that it may have to do with a short in the ground. If so does anyone know what wire(s) that would be? Im new to all of this and just looking for a little guidance. Thanks for your time

Update: I was able to get it to start alot smoother after rewiring one of the wires near that was shorting near the ground. I was also able to find that the previous owner put a wrong fuse in the wrong spot, therefore blowing the fuse. Finding this out i suggested that the rear light was blown, and it was. So now my new question is, if someone were to put a more powerful fuse in the wrong fuse slot, would this blow the rear lights or is it shorting? Any kind of help will be awesome

Last edited by ryan96; 09-21-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: updating
Old 10-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your dash lights and corner markers come on with the headlights?

I just replaced my headlight switch because the dash, corners, and tail lamps didn't come on when I turned the headlights on.

When I pulled the switch, it was actually the connector, it was all burnt up and melted a little. Since I was already in there and had the light switch I replaced both the connector and the headlight switch.

Now all my lights are on.

Quick Reply: Rough start and running tails not working