Topic Sponsor

RAIN! And it's not the distributor :-) 1990

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAIN! And it's not the distributor :-) 1990

I swear I'll send ten whole dollars to whomever can figure this out lol . I'm trying to avoid throwing money at it and replacing everything until it's fixed and this forum is my last chance to avoid doing so :-) rain and heavy humidity can prevent my truck from starting ....

I changed the distributor twice just to be sure lol
Plugs and wires are changed.
It's getting fuel .
I reset the computer.

I am leaning toward ignition coil but I can't afford another guess. it's obviously a condensation problem somewhere right ?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Could be a bad connection somewhere, if it's bad and you get a little moisture in the mix ...
Old 07-18-2015, 08:29 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Connectors like chris 1 said, body grounds, battery terminals. Any thing electrical can be affected by moisture. Start by pulling anything ignition related (connectors), clean with quick drying electronic clean, then use dielectric grease around the seal/base of female plug to keep moisture and contamination out. Clean up body grounds with emery cloth on the frame and eyelets, wire brush on bolts, after grounds are bolted down then coat liberally with dielectric grease for the same purpose. Same for battery terminals, starter solenoid terminals, even the one that the alternator runs to before the battery.

Also any damaged wiring could be fine when conditions are dry but because moisture/condensation conducts electricity, it could cause a grounding out that will prevent something from working.

Electrical problems are usually a very cheap fix ($4 QDEC, $5 large tube of dielectric grease) but tracking down the issue can be a PITA.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

So it will crank but not start?

Quick Reply: RAIN! And it's not the distributor :-) 1990