Topic Sponsor

Please help with lightning ignition/ electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with lightning ignition/ electrical problem

My Lightning has been having an intermittent problem. It will stumble then maybe stall at any speed. I have replaced many components to no positive effect.. The check engine flashes intermittently when this happens but throws no codes. When I turn the truck off and turn on the ignition to acc power I can hear the fuel pump whine continuously rather than priming then stopping and a clicking noise fron the engine bay as well as the tach needle being jumpy. This issue will appear and disapear at random. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

you get this fixed?
did you try nloc.net?
give a run down of everything you've replaced and what codes its throwing
sounds like more than 1 issue. does it surge on both tanks?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Default I think I have it fixed

Yes I think I have solved the problem. It wouldnt throw a code, The check engine light would flash intermittently but not stay on. I replaced fuel filter, MAP sensor (performed by Ford dealer who claimed it threw this code on their equipment ), Distributor Cap, plugs and wires, ICM and TPS. The problem still appeared intermittently until I replaced the ICM again with a factory part vs. one I purchased at a local parts store. It is too early too declare victory yet but will provide update in a week or two.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Default Frustrated!

The Lightning ran great since I replaced the ICM with a Motorcraft part until yesterday morning. While driving on a local interstate yesterday morning the truck started to stall again. The symptoms are the same, feels like intermittent ignition interuption and check engine flashed but doesnt stay on after the event. It did this 4 times in a 20 minute period and became so frequent that I eventually had to park the truck in a suitable location and abandon it for the day for safety reasons. Any suggestions are where to start next are appreciated.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

Go ahead and pull the codes even if the light is off. If your phone has a video record feature record the light flashes. Much easier than doing the code pull over and over trying to learn how to count them.
What is the icm? I'm not familiar w that.

Have you checked fuel pressure. Does it stutter on both tanks?

After pulling codes post them up or email me @ tealm0nsta@ yahoo and ill help you out.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHD06
Go ahead and pull the codes even if the light is off. If your phone has a video record feature record the light flashes. Much easier than doing the code pull over and over trying to learn how to count them.
What is the icm? I'm not familiar w that.

Have you checked fuel pressure. Does it stutter on both tanks?

After pulling codes post them up or email me @ tealm0nsta@ yahoo and ill help you out.
ICM is ignition control module.

Pull codes and post here (with description/definition for each if you can) then we'll go from there.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

I had an issue where the truck just flat wouldn't stay running. felt like it was running out of fuel.
needed a new o2 sensor. replaced it and it cleared up some. once the truck was warm, well after it had warmed up the engine coolant sensor in the heater hose line on top of the intake would go haywire and tell the truck it was over heating so it would just dump fuel to cool off, then it would go the complete opposite and tell it it was too cold so it would lean way out. all in under a minute. stupid $12 part fixed it.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Thanks for the help

I havent had time to work with the Lightning since it last acted up. I left the truck in a secure location and plan to retrieve it on Friday. I will pull codes and try to record on my (dumb)phone and post it up then. I forgot to mention that the coolant temp sensor was the first part I replaced when this happened the first time because it did throw that code initially. It does stutter / stall on either tank when the problem occurs, switching tanks changes nothing. Perhaps some other issue is ruining Ignition Control Modules. It seemed to run better than it ever had since this problem first occurred when I replaced the ICM again.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

These are some tests you can do for the ignition system components. Even if they're new parts I would still test them.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...d_module_1.php
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Default I made it halfway home today

I went to retrieve the Lightning this morning and made 26 of the 50 miles to home. I will try again tomorrow morning to get it home so I can start working on it again. Will post codes and try the trouble shooting tips asap. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Please help with lightning ignition/ electrical problem