Topic Sponsor

No fire at plugs, and no fuel pump power

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fire at plugs, and no fuel pump power

I think the person that had the truck before me tried to remove the computer from most of the system. Because there is a wire coming out of the main wire harness and they put a terminal on it and hooked it to the starter solenoid. I know this because I replaced the starter solenoid and noticed an extra random wire and when I hook it to the + pwr post it will make the fuel pump run even with the key out of the ignition. Also when I try to start it it will crank now with new solenoid, but there is no fire going to the plugs but there is power going to the + & - post of the ignition coil. more than likely the coil is bad. The truck has been sitting for about 4 - 5 years. Any help would be great Thanks guys
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

There should not be power at the negative side.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 AM

thats what I thought but when i turn the key to run, my test light lights up at both terminals on the ignition coil, someone broke the connector coming from the harness to the coil and just ran the wires to the coil with the terminals that mate up to the flat posts.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott351wind
I think the person that had the truck before me tried to remove the computer from most of the system. Because there is a wire coming out of the main wire harness and they put a terminal on it and hooked it to the starter solenoid. I know this because I replaced the starter solenoid and noticed an extra random wire and when I hook it to the + pwr post it will make the fuel pump run even with the key out of the ignition. Also when I try to start it it will crank now with new solenoid, but there is no fire going to the plugs but there is power going to the + & - post of the ignition coil. more than likely the coil is bad. The truck has been sitting for about 4 - 5 years. Any help would be great Thanks guys
Did it run when you got it ?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Yea it ran fine before I left, I'm just going to change out the coil and see what happens, only thing I didnt like was the 12vdc from the neg post on the ign coil wire. I tested the power while the wires were hooked up to the coil. So it may be shorted across each other internaly causing 12vdc to just go back down to ground.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Here is a picture of it, I will try to get an engine bay shot tomarrow.

No fire at plugs, and no fuel pump power-imag0355.jpg

Quick Reply: No fire at plugs, and no fuel pump power