Topic Sponsor

New Universal temp gauge, old one???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Universal temp gauge, old one???

I just bought this truck about a month ago. My engine/coolant temp gauge didn't work, (my fuel gauge doesnt either but I'll save that for another thread) so I just bought a universal kit. It works fine. My question is what do I do with the old temp sensor? When I unplug it, the check engine light comes on
Old 10-10-2015, 10:27 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

Don't unplug it!! Are you using the original sensor for the new gauge. Can you splice the 2 wires togther.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
Don't unplug it!! Are you using the original sensor for the new gauge. Can you splice the 2 wires togther.
No. The new gauge is permanently connected to a mercury filled line that goes into a probe type thing. It screws into the same place as the old sensor into the coolant. I have the old sensor still plugged in but tied off to the side
Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 PM
WindowGuy

I just wondered. Have you tried grounding the wire or grounding sensor.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
I just wondered. Have you tried grounding the wire or grounding sensor.
No. How do I do that? Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 PM
WindowGuy

First i'd try touching the sensor with the wire on it to something metal, like the engine, and see if the check engine light goes out. If that works, try unplugging the wire and touching it to something metal. If that works, find an out of the way strew or bolt you can loosen and put the wire under, then retighten it. You may have tokeep the sensor attached and fasten it to something. Let me know what happens
Old 10-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 89straight6auto
I just bought this truck about a month ago. My engine/coolant temp gauge didn't work, (my fuel gauge doesnt either but I'll save that for another thread) so I just bought a universal kit. It works fine. My question is what do I do with the old temp sensor? When I unplug it, the check engine light comes on
My '85 had a fuel and temp. gauge problem the OEM books told me to change the O/P transmitter, O/P was good so I thought it was a misprint, so I changed the gauges, sending units, printed circuit, instrument voltage stabilizer, and troubleshot the wiring and did not fix the problem. When all this failed I changed the O/P transmitter and as if by magic I had both back.

Hope this helps
Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
My '85 had a fuel and temp. gauge problem the OEM books told me to change the O/P transmitter, O/P was good so I thought it was a misprint, so I changed the gauges, sending units, printed circuit, instrument voltage stabilizer, and troubleshot the wiring and did not fix the problem. When all this failed I changed the O/P transmitter and as if by magic I had both back.

Hope this helps
What's an o/p transmitter? Where's it located? What does it look like? Thank you, man I really hope it works for mine
Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Oil Pressure transmitter (also known as Oil Pressure switch), mine is above the oil filter

Here is a link bottom of the page

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FD/full.aspx?page=128
Old 10-17-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
Oil Pressure transmitter (also known as Oil Pressure switch), mine is above the oil filter

Here is a link bottom of the page

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FD/full.aspx?page=128
Ok, I have the new o/p switch. I have a couple questions. Do I need to drain the oil before I replace the switch? Im pretty sure this is the o/p switch...(its right behind the dip stick) The bolt/nut I need to loosen to get off is bigger than one inch. Doesn't look like an ordinary shape either..do I need a special tool to get it off? Or is that not where I need to loosen it?

Quick Reply: New Universal temp gauge, old one???