Topic Sponsor

New Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Problem

1996 F-150 XL, 4x4 reg cab long box. 5.0 engine, dual tanks.
Won't start unless block heater is plugged in overnight when temperature goes below -20 C, (0F). Any ideas, it will crank until the battery dies and will make offers to start but just will not start. It's up on the side of the highway now dead as a doornail. I was thinking that tomorrow I would bring up a generator with battery charger and plug the block heater in for a couple hours.
Any suggestions to anything else I can do to warm it up and get it going/drive it home tomorrow?
It really ruined a night at the cabin...lol
Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There could be a sensor involved (I'm thinking the temp sensor), but maybe it just needs a really good tuneup.
And I remember my Dad's van (302) back in the day wouldn't start worth a dam when it was cold until I changed out his timing chain, then it would fire right away.
Also worth borrowing a code reader (for OBD2) and see if it has anything to tell you. It can still store codes even if the light's not on.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:04 PM

It could also be related to the fuel pump not working well cold, or the electrical (coil PIP or ICM) not liking cold temps.
Use a tester to check for fuel pressure ( minimum of 30 up to 45 psi) and check it for spark.
As for warming it the generator is probably it. We used to build a big fire, then put hot coals under the oilpan, but that's probably not an option on the side of the highway.
The following users liked this post:
nfld96ford (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
It could also be related to the fuel pump not working well cold, or the electrical (coil PIP or ICM) not liking cold temps.
Use a tester to check for fuel pressure ( minimum of 30 up to 45 psi) and check it for spark.
As for warming it the generator is probably it. We used to build a big fire, then put hot coals under the oilpan, but that's probably not an option on the side of the highway.
Would I be unlucky enough for BOTH fuel pumps to dislike the cold that much? haha
I checked for spark, it seemed a little weak. I cleaned off the start on the coil and it seemed to make better offers to start once that was done. I'll try plugging it in for a while, hooking up a battery charger, taking a fresh battery with me and might take the coil wire off and put it on the dash of the operational truck to warm it up really good and dry it out. Feels like the fuel pressure is a bit low but at the same time it's flooding pretty good too.
I'll try getting a set of plug wires for it to see if that helps. New plugs, distributor cap and rotor button already. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Default Got it running!

Turns out the plug wires are bad.
They appear to be original...time for a new set...
It was damn cold again today (about -15 F), thank God the wind was calm and it was sunny.
I had to get the generator running, I then plugged in the block heater. I connected the battery on the truck with a second one on the ground. I then hooked a 50 amp battery charger to the second battery.
After a long wait and trying 4 different coil wires that were baking on the heat register of my other truck, it finally started, but not without a lot of difficulty.
I have a new set of plug wires on the way, should be here within the next two days.
It will be plugged in at all times when it is not running until I get the wires changed.
P.S.: The hood latch is jammed or something. I had to pull extremely hard to get the hood open yesterday morning to try and get it running. Since then it was only caught on the secondary latch. I closed it again after I got home and it appears to be popped, but will not open or close all the way properly.
I'm hoping it's just frozen; any of ye ever have that happen with these 92-96 Fords before?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

When you pulled the plugs, did you check the gap? And might be time to check the compression while you have the plugs out. Other than that, I'd say replace the fuel filter since it's easy and cheap. Make sure all of your grounds are good and corrosion free.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
When you pulled the plugs, did you check the gap? And might be time to check the compression while you have the plugs out. Other than that, I'd say replace the fuel filter since it's easy and cheap. Make sure all of your grounds are good and corrosion free.
I didn't pull the plugs this time, though it was next on my things to try list if I didn't get it running when I did. The plugs were replaced last March, less than 20,000 km ago and they were gapped when installed. I have a feeling there was probably some washing down of the cylinders walls with gas from all the cranking and no starting. Compression seems to be good as it was hard to turn over, thanks to the dry cylinder walls.
Now I have to change the wires when they arrive, but I have to get the hood open to do that. The latch release was incredibly hard to pull on Sunday morning when it wouldn't start first, and it would only hold by the secondary latch after that. Yesterday evening after I got it home, the hood partly hooked on the primary latch, but it still looks popped and it won't move up or down at all and I can't get it open for love nor money.
Any ideas what I can do to get it open again?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 PM

Wires are changed, everything is running good again now.
I had to sacrifice the grille to get the hood open again. Does anyone have a chrome grille for a 92-96 they are willing to part with? :P
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

What was wrong with the release cable? Was it crimped or was the lock jammed?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM

Sounds like the primary got closed with the hood open. Didn't I just hear about that happening to somebody else ? From leaning in to change his intake ?
Either that or the old truck's crying for a little lubrication.
Those are my guesses. How about it nfld96 ? What happened ?

Quick Reply: New Problem