Topic Sponsor

NEVER let your helper drive your truck!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default NEVER let your helper drive your truck!

20 something genius decided to pressure wash my old girl while on a job...it was still hot. He blew the power steering cap hard enough to loosen it and it came off on the way home...covering the coil with PS fluid and boom!

It somehow backfed through the harness and , well, damn!!!

New computer...$150
New Distributor...$90
New ICM ...70$
New TPS...68
New Map...$75
New Coil...48
6 spark plugs as 4 were cracked..24$

Profit on pressure wash job....150

Jeez...no good deed goes unpunished. She still isn't running right...

I'm a dumbass! lol
live n' learn

Last edited by southernyankey1; 07-20-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Fusible links didnt do their job...Still not sure if it was actually the coil, doesn't make sense that it could backfeed through the harness like that... I'm more inclined to think it was the alternator since the computer was so cooked the actual traces were completely melted on the board ....

After about 20 hours tracing the engine harness I found all the shorts and she now purrs like a kitten again.(DAMN, THERE'S A LOT OF WIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY!!!)GROUNDS, GROUNDS,GROUNDS....CHECK EVERY ONE! SO IMPORTANT ON THIS TRUCK!!! a 130 amp alternator puts out power I can now say for sure...lol. I'm fortunate that the kid didn't crack the damn head so I guess there is that. All FoMoCo engine management and lots of dielectric grease and lots of swearing later and she actually chirped 3rd gear this morning....

I can only imagine what a shop would have had to charge me to fix her...it's good to be mechanically inclined!!!

It is simply amazing to see what you CAN do when you HAVE TO!!

Last edited by southernyankey1; 07-25-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEVER let your helper drive your truck!