Topic Sponsor

Need some help with the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with the ignition

I'm having a bit of a problem with it still. So, my ignition stopped working and I replaced the battery, the starter, and the starter solenoid and I still can't start my truck with the ignition. I have to put the key in and turn it on, pop the hood, and touch the two bolts on the solenoid together with a screwdriver to start it. It's getting annoying and I want to fix it. I changed out the ignition lock cylinder and that just have me a new key and I still can't start it. I've replaced an ignition switch before in an older truck, but when I went to buy the ignition switch to replace it, it just didn't look right and I have no idea what to do.

So, could anyone tell me what piece to buy to fix this and how to change it? And I don't want to put in a push button start. If anybody can help, that would be awesome.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 PM

This is on a 1988 Ford F150 by the way. Sorry I left that out.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Could be the little rod that connects to the ignition switch. I'm not sure how to replace it but I had the same problem on my 90.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help with the ignition-image-1969191988.jpg  

Last edited by Snaggletooth; 10-14-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Damn. If anybody could possibly provide some pictures and some help with this it would be awesome. I'm really trying to avoid taking it to a electrician and having them figure it out.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you can get our hand up under the dash on the ignition switch, reach up in there and have someone turn the key so you can feel whether that rod is moving or not. If it is then you should check the wires with a test light to see if power is actually being sent to the solenoid.

If power is not being sent from the switch, replace the switch.

If power is being sent from the switch, but not getting to the solenoid then you will have to start tracing the wire to find out where the connection breaks.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

There's a cover that unscrews to get to that rod, undo two screws and pull the cover off, turn the key to start and push down and forward on that little rod. If that's what's wrong it should try to start. Atleast that's what happened on my truck, I kept the cover off and just push the rod to start it now.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

ive had this happen on my 91. Turned out to be the ignition switch. Cheap, and takes all of 2 mins to change out. How did the new one not look right? Also, on my truck the switch worked for awhile, but then stopped, turned out to be the steering column was screwed

Last edited by Bryson; 10-16-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Nvm just read that its a 88 sorry lol.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM

The only rod I'm finding when I take the little piece off of the steering column is a long rod that runs all the way through to the firewall. When I turn my key to try and start a popping sound comes from where the solenoid is and it just won't start.

Quick Reply: Need some help with the ignition