Topic Sponsor

Need Help with ignition cylinder problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with ignition cylinder problem.

I have a 96 F150 that I bought used. It always had play in the ignition cylinder and the key was sometimes hard to get out. Yesterday when I parked the truck it was working fine. Now today it will not start. The cylinder is moving but it will not start. I can get the dash to light up but it will not engage the starter. I am sure the battery is fine - it is only 5 months old and the lights work. Is it possible for the cylinder to be the cause since it has had lots of play, or does the fact that the dash lights come on mean it is another problem?

Last edited by Tigerpaw53; 01-06-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigerpaw53
I have a 96 F150 that I bought used. It always had play in the ignition cylinder and the key was sometimes hard to get out. Yesterday when I parked the truck it was working fine. Now today it will not start. The cylinder is moving but it will not start. I can get the dash to light up but it will not engage the starter. I am sure the battery is fine - it is only 5 months old and the lights work. Is it possible for the cylinder to be the cause since it has had lots of play, or does the fact that the dash lights come on mean it is another problem?
It could be the connecting rod between the key cylinder and the ignition switch, the ignition switch, or the cylinder itself.

You can unbolt the ignition switch from the column and operate it by hand, if it starts then that part is fine. And/or you can replace the key cylinder to check that part. When you turn the key to "start" does it spring back to "run" if you let it go like it's supposed to?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Yes it does spring back. Also when the door is opened the "ding ding" tone that indicates your keys are in the ignition keeps sounding. I am not sure what you mean by "unbolt the ignition switch from the column and operate it by hand". Do you mean take the cylinder out?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Since the cylinder had play in it I went ahead and replaced it. The truck still will not turn over. Since this happened overnight and I'm sure it is not the battery does anyone have any suggestions? Could the starter go bad without any warning?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Yes it does spring back. Also when the door is opened the "ding ding" tone that indicates your keys are in the ignition keeps sounding. I am not sure what you mean by "unbolt the ignition switch from the column and operate it by hand". Do you mean take the cylinder out?
Being the same gen our trucks should be pretty similar. On the underside of the steering column there is a decent sized off-whitish box, That's the actual ignition switch. But looking at your posts again when I'm not just waking up, do you here any "clunk" or "thunk" when you turn the key? Your starter solenoid/relay might be bad. Should be on the inner fender near the battery.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 AM

I don't get any sound at all.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM

I don't get any sound at all.
Have you checked that solenoid/relay that I mentioned?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM

The relay appears to be the problem. One on order and will let you know when I put it in. Thanks very much for your help and wisdom!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Too Cool for New School

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you broke your ignition actuator. This happened to me yesterday. Good news is that it is a cheap ($15) part to replace. Bad news is that it is a pain to replace. You will have to take apart most of your steering column.

Check out this video:
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Hopefully it's not the actuator rod, and hopefully you don't have tilt like me, makes it harder. But when mine broke, I could start the truck but not turn it off. Depends how it breaks, very well could keep you from starting the truck, mine just didn't.

Quick Reply: Need Help with ignition cylinder problem.