Topic Sponsor

MSD 6AL box

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default MSD 6AL box

Hi every one, its been long time . Been little too busy .I have a little problem wiring a MSD 6AL box taht I found at a local wrecking yard for $12. Its been bolted in my engine compartment for more than a year now and last weekend I tried to wire it but it didnt work, I try to follow the instructions that I found online (diagrams).I bench test it and it work using the withe wire as a trigger. If anybody has wire one on their trucks might be you can help me and tell me what Im doing wrong. Here is the diagram Im using to wire it .

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails MSD 6AL box-msd-tfi.jpg  

Last edited by J.A.C; 09-23-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.A.C
Hi every one, its been long time . Been little too busy .I have a little problem wiring a MSD 6AL box taht I found at a local wrecking yard for $12. Its been bolted in my engine compartment for more than a year now and last weekend I tried to wire it but it didnt work, I try to follow the instructions that I found online (diagrams).I bench test it and it work using the withe wire as a trigger. If anybody has wire one on their trucks might be you can help me and tell me what Im doing wrong. Here is the diagram Im using to wire it .

Thank you
What year is your truck? Does it have have the 5.0l in it?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:49 PM

Hi Tasteslikeink, its a 93 and yes it has the 5.0 L.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.A.C
Hi Tasteslikeink, its a 93 and yes it has the 5.0 L.
The 6AL won't work on a Hall effect dizzy so I hope you have a Mallory, mad, or summit brand distributor. I Used the harness when I wired my Mallory ignition box to my 95 mustang with the same motor
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM

I have the factory distributor, and I was thinking the same cause when I bench test it. it works by using the withe wire as a trigger.
When I watch the MSD video on how to wire the guy there said the withe wire was for points ignitions but then I found the wiring diagram thats why I was hopping it works in my truck.
What about the other two wires use with magnetic effect. did you try that on your car.or it just dont work with my factory distributor.

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they work fine with factory distributors using white trigger to negative coil wire. done on mustangs and my lightnings
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM

was it on a 4 or 6 cylinder engine before loops might be cut
Old 10-02-2014, 10:27 PM

Hi littlehauler, so I must be doing something wrong with the wires then (white wire). I been talking to the MSD Tech. and he said the same . It should work in my truck no problem. I have to double check my wires during weekend to see if I found something wrong.
The way I got it wire now its Orange to coil + and Black to coil -,
Then the other two wires Red to Red L/green and White to Yellow D/green from the connector that was to the coil. hope it make sens.
Is that the right way as shown on diagram and same way you got yours.
I double check my wires during weekend they might be cross or something else wrong.
I check the loops but non of them are cut, but I check it again.
It was on a 93 F150 but it was not connected.

Thank you

Last edited by J.A.C; 10-02-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:16 AM

I used the summit brand harness so if ignition failed. I could just unplug and still get around. your wiring sounds correct only thing I can think of is to verify original coil wires are right polarity for color. you can do same bench test on vehicle hook red to 12v+ unplug coil wire from distributor and place near ground ,and just ground out white wire
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/msd-8874/overview/

this is what I used so I could bypass msd

Last edited by littlehauler; 10-03-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: MSD 6AL box