Topic Sponsor

intermittant starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittant starting

I've searched as many threads as I could find already but still need some help please.
94, 4.9l six, auto, 235K miles. the cel bulb was removed and lost to pass inspection....alright I admit it!
So I tried getting the codes by hooking up a digital multi meter described in detail in a great previous thread. I had it on ohms, it blinked and paused but shouldn't I have it on volts? i'll try again tomorrow now that I've read it should be 3-digit codes? I tried koeo because it wouldn't start. I left it all day, came home then it started right up? I could hear the fuel pump from key on but it still wouldn't fire up. also, started losing power up hills and bucking badly if I floored it. I have to accelerate slowly or it will buck and hesitate. the vacuum canister is a rust bucket. any ideas why it won't start and then 12 hrs later start right up? i'll try starting it up tomorrow, get it warm and then try getting codes again - if it starts. i'm not afraid to change out parts but I'd rather not take a shot gun approach. thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM

started last night at about 38 F here in New England. this morn at 28F it wouldn't start. I went out every 1/2 hr until the outside temp was 35F and after several attempts it started. here are the KOEO codes:

1 quick flash, 4 sec pause, then 2 blinks, 2 sec pause then 3 blinks then 4 sec pause, 1 quick blink, 4 sec pause, then ended with 332 twice.

do I read that as a 23 and 332?

also more bad news. the pipe from the exhaust man has a rust hole close to the end at the exhaust man. There's also a small tube broken on the vacuum fitting on the intake manifold. This little hole is sucking during idling and bogs when my finger is on it. And the coffee can disintegrated. the truck is base model with no power anything except steering, no A/C, cruise ...etc.

any help much appreciated as it is my winter vehicle.
BL
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 AM

also did the engine running test; 2 quick flashes then nothing. Also noticed during the KOEO that the fuel pump started up shut off then 4 sec later started on again and shut off.
thanks,
BL
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Put in a bulb, fix the hole and cap the leaky vacuum. In other words, fix what you know is broken first.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Yup. I need to fix everything first. started it up and drove all day yesterday with several shut offs and start ups throughout the day with no problems but again this morning cold, it refused to start. i disconnected the plug on the IAC while it was idling yesterday and there was no effect? should i add that to the shopping list? thanks for the advice.
BL
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM

Default more data on problem

huge rain, ice storm up here in NE last couple of days changed the moisture of my engine bay - truck lives outside. in the dark, while my son cranked it over, i could see the #1 plug wire arcing to the metal bracket. when i isolate the bracket it still leaks inside the plug. So i'm off to change cap, coil and wires and vac lines and......
Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
We'd do it

Yeah, my 4.9 liked to arc out the #1, even with new wires.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 AM

New plugs, wires, and coil did the trick! Started up and runs beautifull. still have all the vacuum leaks to sort out though. Starts right up, idles high for approx 40 seconds and then settles down. I'm confused still about the idle control valve, unplugged it has no effect on idle? Should it be giving a voltage I can check before going and getting a new one? thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 PM
We'd do it

You can try cleaning it.

Quick Reply: intermittant starting