Topic Sponsor

Ignition switch ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition switch ???

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a 1991 F150 XLT w/tilt wheel. A couple of days ago my power windows, windshield wipers and radio quit working, after checking a schematic they share a power line through the ignition switch after replacing the ignition switch the problem remained however while turning the switch to the off position the windshield wipers came back on so I checked with the old ignition switch and have the same indications. When the truck is started and the key is moved toward the off position a tiny bit the power is returned but I risk shutting the truck off at a bad time. Could the ignition actuator be the culprit or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
Danny
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 AM

Hello
What did you do to fix this problem?
i seems to have a problem close to yours i can crank my truck and have power windows and wipers then on the next crank have no power to the wipers or power windows, very strange I to see the blk/ lt green wire that connects these , in the wiring dia in the Haynes book but i have no idea how to fix
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by emedlin
Hello
What did you do to fix this problem?
i seems to have a problem close to yours i can crank my truck and have power windows and wipers then on the next crank have no power to the wipers or power windows, very strange I to see the blk/ lt green wire that connects these , in the wiring dia in the Haynes book but i have no idea how to fix
I had to replace the Ignition switch that is on top of the steering column, took about 15 min, cost less than 13 dollars at the parts store.
The shaft from the key goes to the ignition switch along the top of the steering column.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...gnition+switch

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Hello and Thanks Dandy Dee
I have ordered a ignition lock cylinder and hope to have a neighbor pick it up for me tomorrow, I have found that mine will give me power sometimes if I hold it a little closer to the start side a little after it is running, i can then lower the power window but i sure would not like to drive that way trying to run the wipers, smiling a bit thinking of that
thanks again Ed

Quick Reply: Ignition switch ???