Topic Sponsor

How to repair/replace broken actuator rod?

Old 06-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair/replace broken actuator rod?

Hello! This is my first post. I have a 1992 F150 5.0 Lariat XLT. The other day I went to start the truck and heard a snap when I turned the key. The key cylinder has been messed up for a while, but this time it over extended way past where it normally should be.

The truck started and I drove it home, and when i turned the key to the off position, nothing happened. To turn the truck off, i ended up pulling the fuel pump supply fuse and disconnecting the battery. (I don't know if this was the best idea, but i was desperate).

Since then, I replaced the key cylinder (it is in the correct position, and not over extending like the previous one) and took out the ignition switch which seems to be fine. The actuator rod seems to be broken though as I can see movement near the top as I turn the key, but the bottom will not move. I can freely move the bottom with an screwdriver in the hole that the ignition switch goes in to.

So my real question is how do I go about replacing the actuator rod? Will I need to take apart the steering column? If so, how should I do that? (Mine is a tilt steering wheel if that makes a difference).

I haven't tried this yet due to rain in the area, but at least temporarily I think I should be able to start it and stop it by manually moving the ignition switch by hand.

Sorry if this is a lot to read, but any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to repair/replace broken actuator rod?