Topic Sponsor

High beams don't want to work

Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beams don't want to work

Got a 1995 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 for $600 and I'm trying to get it all setup for inspection and such. Noticed my high beams are just not there at all. Not sure if it's a single beam light or anything like that but i did notice the light flickered when I pulled the lever towards me.

Here's a video showing the issue.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

The vid has no relation to this generation. Looks like the problem is in the multifunction switch. It has 3 internal circuits for the low, high and pass function.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 94-F150 Headlights & dashlights blink out

Anyone have this issue? Is it common for the high beam to fail on this make/model?

Hubby looked and there are separate grounds for the headlights. They will work for a while and then shut down for a while, after that they come back on & off repeatedly. The on/off does not seem 'bump' related, as it occurs on smooth hiway or dirt toad with same frequency. Running lights and tail lights stay on.

The headlights have never failed to turn on, just won't 'stay' turned on.

Had to replace the turn signal/washer control lever and hoped that would fix the headlight issue, but it didn't.

Appreciate your time to reply,
Chuck & Janice
Old 11-29-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

most likely got a bad ground or short somewhere. i don't know fords too well but what i do know about dodge trucks says headlight circuits tend to be a weak spot on all trucks that were built before they started putting headlights on relays. i put the headlights on both my dodge trucks on relays so that the headlight circuit don't fail and leave me without lights. LMC Trucks offer a relay harness for $30. i don't think you can even build one for that price unless you have all the parts sitting around already.
The following 2 users liked this post by crazzywolfie:
1967 Tempest (12-14-2013), Chuck McDonald (12-14-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Hi crazzywolfie,

Thanks for the reply, it gives us something to consider.

Tomorrow we are going to pull the headlamp switch out and check it over. There is supposed to be a 22 amp circuit breaker on it. Maybe that is the culprit.

Cheers.
C & J
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 PM

i don't think you will find the circuit breaker. it most likely has a internal self resetting circuit breaker. i don't know how you would test it or if you could test it.

if you plan on keeping the truck putting the headlights one relays is advisable. usually makes them a bit brighter and makes your headlight and dimmer switch last longer.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck McDonald (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 09:11 AM

We pulled the switch out and that was not the problem. The problem was the receiver for the switch. It was actually charred in one spot and crumbling. Replaced it, the switch and also, put in that wiring harness. Won't have an opportunity to road test but seeing that switch casing practically burned up, we have some assurance the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck McDonald
We pulled the switch out and that was not the problem. The problem was the receiver for the switch. It was actually charred in one spot and crumbling. Replaced it, the switch and also, put in that wiring harness. Won't have an opportunity to road test but seeing that switch casing practically burned up, we have some assurance the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

I would still put the headlights on relays. I have two old cars and this is a common occurrence. The big thing is without the use of a relay ALL of the current is going through the switch.

If you have a loose wire or such near the switch, you now have the path of MOST resistance. This is where it will arc and eventually char in your case.

$30.00 is cheap insurance and the light might get brighter. On the 2 67 Tempests I have, the relays made HUGE improvements on NON-halogen lights. With halogen lights you can see into the future they are so bright.

Dave
Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 AM

i agree. if you don't install relays it will most likely just happen again eventually.
The following users liked this post:
1967 Tempest (12-15-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High beams don't want to work