Topic Sponsor

Fuel Tank Selector Switch replacement

Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Going stealth

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Selector Switch replacement

I have a 1995 F-150 XLT with the 5.0 V8, it has duel tanks. The previous owner decided to use JB Weld to put the fuel tank selector switch in the dashboard. With the Texas heat it didn't last long. Instead of a direct replacement I want to use a toggle switch. The problem I am having is that the original switch has 6 female contacts and the toggle switches are primarily two contact males. Does anyone know of a way to do what I am wanting to do?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

No. That switch controls the pump and sending unit in both tanks and also feeds the gauge.
Go to a wrecking yard and get a new cluster cover that isn't broken and it will probably come with a spare selector switch.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Going stealth

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally got around to this. I found a switch on amazon, it appeared to have all of the correct specs and it was a toggle rather than a rocker. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to one small detail; it's smaller than a dime.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Just get the right one. I've found that a sharp knife heated up with a propane torch is good for cutting and repairing those plastic pieces. Or just cut the old switch off and epoxy another one in. With any luck, it'll last 20 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Selector Switch replacement