Topic Sponsor

fuel pump not priming.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump not priming.

The fuel pump relay doesn't click when I turn the key on so the fuel pump doesn't turn on. But I noticed that if I take the relay cap off and touch the contacts together the fuel pump turns on. And the relay is brand new.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM

And the truck will only start and run for a few seconds.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Try another relay.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 AM

tried a new relay and still no sound of the fuel pump unless i squeeze the relay manually.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

try another relay. parts are made extra cheap now-adays.
worked on a car last month had to switch out 4 alt. before the second parts store had one that would work.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Besides what trucknut said.. get a good look at the sockets the relay plugs into, you'll want to look at the underside where the wires go into the sockets. Check them for security and good contact.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Question Relay.

Originally Posted by Brandonnichols
The fuel pump relay doesn't click when I turn the key on so the fuel pump doesn't turn on. But I noticed that if I take the relay cap off and touch the contacts together the fuel pump turns on. And the relay is brand new.
The relay is powered by the computer module for a few seconds when u turn on the ignition switch, then or after that the PIP inside the distributor kicks in the signal to the computer.

If the relay is not getting power check the terminals on the plug ( the power that closes the circuited in the relay). Need to know how the relay works?

Regards

Michael
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Michaelr227
The relay is powered by the computer module for a few seconds when u turn on the ignition switch, then or after that the PIP inside the distributor kicks in the signal to the computer.

If the relay is not getting power check the terminals on the plug ( the power that closes the circuited in the relay). Need to know how the relay works?

Regards

Michael
Close, actually, the primary winding (control circuit) of the fuel pump relay is powered from the EEC relay secondary, all the EEC does is provide the ground which energizes the primary allowing the secondary to close which in turn sends power to the pumps.

Power for primary side of the EEC relay is provided from the ignition switch in the run position, it uses G100 as a ground. The relay secondary uses Fuse Link N which is off the hot battery bus, when the relay closes, power is sent to the EEC and S122. S122 powers the fuel pump relay as I mentioned above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump not priming.