Topic Sponsor

electric fans??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electric fans??

i want to put an electric fan or two in my truck to replace the engine fan, i dont think the engine fan is working to well because it has no shroud, also i know electric fans will improve MPG slightly, due to the fact that the engine is no longer working to rotate the fan, also i plan on doing a lot of four wheeling at low speeds, and he fans will be a benefit, but i had a few questions

1: can i use just any fan?

2: how would i mount a fan? just screw it into the radiator?

3: would i have to wire it with a switch? or could i wire it so that it comes on when i turn the truck on?

any help would be awesome.
thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wire in a switch and relay. and my truck had one with tie raps holding it on the rad when I bought it, simple but it was held on actually pretty well!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

There are many trains of thought to do this.

Alot of people use junkyard fans from cars. I prefer to buy a new universal one from Summit. I went with a 16" that had the most CFMs that was in my price range. Some swear you need dual fans, im not convinced. They mount with zip-tie like things that slip thru the rad fins.

You want a puller type fan.

To wire it, some like to tap into existing sensors and add relays. I went with a real simple wiring kit, with a radiator probe that slips between the fins as near the rad cap as possible. The hardest part is tapping into a switched 12v source.

Last edited by Andrew95; 02-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wheelerboy12 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andrew95
There are many trains of thought to do this.

Alot of people use junkyard fans from cars. I prefer to buy a new universal one from Summit. I went with a 16" that had the most CFMs that was in my price range. Some swear you need dual fans, im not convinced. They mount with zip-tie like things that slip thru the rad fins.

You want a puller type fan.

To wire it, some like to tap into existing sensors and add relays. I went with a real simple wiring kit, with a radiator probe that slips between the fins as near the rad cap as possible. The hardest part is tapping into a switched 12v source.
WOW, Thanks!!!! All I was really concerned with though was mounting, and you answered that question! I have access to all the wire, switches and relays I could need, I just needed to know how most people went about the wiring, and i actually planed on just getting some JY fans since that's what is in my price range.

Again thank you very much!! You literally answered all my questions.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

There's a thread called e-fan swap. Use the thread search. Lot's of good reading. Dual fans from a Chryler 300 are super quiet, fitment is great, low amp pull and only run for about 30 seconds to a minute if the cooling system is in good shape. The main benefit to dual fans from the salvage yard is that most factory fans are quiet and efficient compared to aftermarket. Another plus to dual fans is this..... one 16" fan pulling 1300cfm or dual 12's = 24"s pulling 1600-2k cfm with less noise and power. Not to mention that most factory duals have a shroud where most aftermarket fans don't.

Do not wire in a manual switch. Playing Russian Roulette with your engine. First time you forget to flip the fan on, you toast your motor. Not smart. Use an electric fan thermo switch and sensor from Advanced Auto Parts. $18, adjustable temp and will last forever.

Last edited by unit505; 02-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: electric fans??