Topic Sponsor

Eec iv rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eec iv rebuild

Does anyone know who can rebuild this computer? Auto zone and Napa can't do it my ford dealer can't even do it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Most guys find out which components on the board are shot, usually its some of the capacitors. Someone posted once that Ford used lowest bidder on caps on now many of them leak. Anyway they go over to radio shack or some other electronic supply house and get new caps and put them in.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Best bet IMO, order a used ECU from a reputable online used parts dealer that offers a warranty. I can go into my local salvage yards and purchase one for $25 with a 30 day warranty. They are simple enough to access. The hardest part may be finding the same truck with the exact options that yours came with. If not, you'll have to have yours flashed. My local dealer charges $80 for that.

To answer your question, you may be able to find a cb, ham radio or even a tv repair shop that can at least check the caps and other electronics and replace certain bad components. My local cb shop cuts me a good deal on electronics repair, usually about $40 - $60 an hour. The caps themselves are cheap, so if the problem turns out to be a cap, solder joint, resistor, Etc, you might walk out in 15 minutes and a $20 bill. Just an FYI, the tv shops around here charge more to repair tv's than what they are worth new, but my cb shop has repaired them in 10 minutes. Fortunately, the internet has replaced most of the old repair books that the shops used to have to dig through to get trouble shooting guides and in return, cut down on the repair times and costs, IF a repair shop elects to pass on that savings.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:40 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

505 throwing out some good info..

Quick Reply: Eec iv rebuild