Topic Sponsor

EEC Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
1992 F150 5.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EEC Help

I have a 1992 F150 with a 5.0. The check engine light is on but I cannot pull any codes. I have tried with a code reader but it will not even link to the computer. I have also tried the paperclip method with no luck. I have checked all the grounds and they look fine. The fuel pumps also continue to run with the KOEO. I am looking at replacing the EEC, but I need some advice.
The part number on my EEC is F2TF-12A650-XA. I have searched the local junkyards and LKQ nationwide and have found nothing available that matches this number. Does the number have to match exactly? If so, can someone please tell me how I may be able to get one?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 AM

I also have the same issue NO Communication either the EEC. I sent my original PCM out to get fixed and got this NO COM computer back. I an stumped at what I can do next but shell out the 250 for a new one. Mine is same as yours but AXA.

Did yours just stop working? Does your PCM smell like its burnt? Crack open the top and look at the board to see if there is any arc's or burnt up capacitors. Those are the first to go from what Ive read and seen.

There are a few places around that can work on the PCM just look online or buy a new one. Pricy but hopefully you dont run into the same issues I've been having.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 AM
1992 F150 5.0

BC Truck,
I just recently got the truck so I guess the EEC was bad when it was given to me. I just replaced the EEC with a remanufactured one and all of the problems are gone. I didn't open the old one up to see if there was any obvious damage though. The engine purrs like a kitten and the fuel pump issue is also gone. And no check engine light either. The new EEC only costed me $110 at autozone with the core. MONEY WELL SPENT!!

Good luck with yours
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Ya glad u got your working. Im guessing the re-manufactured one I got was the wrong one. I think it was for an MAF truck and mine isnt. The pinouts are different in the box from what I have read. Once confirmed thru ford I am getting it replaced ASAP. Hope the place I got it from will trade it out.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM

I'm new, so let me know if I'm doing this wrong. 1993. 2 tanks. Would not start. Replaced rear FDM and the fuel pressure regulator. Now, after sitting overnight, it will start, idle rough for 10 seconds & die. When I use code reader, it's ON all the time. No flashes. When I try self-test w/ voltmeter, it reads 24 volts whether ign is on or off. any ideas?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:13 AM
1992 F150 5.0

I would first check all the grounds in the engine compartment. The actual EEC harnes has a ground next to the test plug. The R/H side engine has a ground. The battery ground also.
Then I would check the relays (fuel pump and ECM relay) to make sure they are good. The fact that it cuts off seems like your not getting fuel. Maybe check fuel pressure.
But the fact that you can't pull codes leads me to think its the EEC.
Check all the easy and cheap things first, then look at changing the EEC
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM

where is the EEC located?, i am also looking into changing mine but i need to pull the numbers off it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 AM
1992 F150 5.0

The EEC is located on the drivers side firewall. The EEC goes into the cab of the truck but it has to be removed from under the hood. It is rectangular. Remove the 2 bolts holding the harness on and pull the cover plate off. Then just slide the EEC out. You will probably need to take the fender well loose in order to have enough room to pull the EEC out

Quick Reply: EEC Help