Topic Sponsor

Dual tank switch , cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual tank switch , cruise control

I have a 95 XLT Super Cab with dual tanks. The rear one works fine but when I try and put gas in the front tank, the fuel nozzle on the gas pump will not stay engaged pumping the gas. It just clicks off. Also, when I switch from back to front tank, the fuel gauge drops to empty. Not real sure if there is any gas in the front or not. Just recently purchased the truck and not sure how everything works just yet. Also can not get the cruise control to set. Any ideas on either of these items will be greatly appreciated. Bryant
Old 06-30-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Fuel Fill
The design of the filler neck tank slows the inflow of fuel causing the fuel pump sensor to click the pump off. There are some fixes offered in the forums, but you may just have to find a slow-flow station. The issue is with the venting. The fuel goes in so fast the air can't come out. This causes the fuel to back up and turn the pump off. You'll have to decide if the expense to correct it is worth it for you.

Fuel Gauge
Empty means the tank is empty. Needle stuck at full means there is a disconnect between the gauge and the pump. I think that's right, or is it the other way around?

Cruise Control
Does your horn work? Could be the clock spring in the steering wheel has disconnected or gotten damaged. Or it could be something simple like a fuse.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seschenburg
Fuel Fill
The design of the filler neck tank slows the inflow of fuel causing the fuel pump sensor to click the pump off. There are some fixes offered in the forums, but you may just have to find a slow-flow station. The issue is with the venting. The fuel goes in so fast the air can't come out. This causes the fuel to back up and turn the pump off. You'll have to decide if the expense to correct it is worth it for you.

Fuel Gauge
Empty means the tank is empty. Needle stuck at full means there is a disconnect between the gauge and the pump. I think that's right, or is it the other way around?

Cruise Control
Does your horn work? Could be the clock spring in the steering wheel has disconnected or gotten damaged. Or it could be something simple like a fuse.
My 96 f-150 does that too..Try turning the rear of the pump nozzle (the end where the hose runs into) towards the front of the truck when pumping fuel..Sounds weird but It helped mine and stopped kickin the pump off..Guess its got to do with the bend in tank filler neck..

Quick Reply: Dual tank switch , cruise control