Topic Sponsor

DEAD steering wheel controls. 1994.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD steering wheel controls. 1994.

Hello All.
Kindly let me introduce myself. I am new to the F-150 world, but not to other automobiles and forums. This forum though really seems to have quite a bit of action, and some very good answers, and advise!

My problem...

Just a few months back, my Uncle passed away, and left me his 1994 F-150 2WD 4 speed with O/D that he purchased new. There were only 38K on the ticker, and for being a truck living in the North East, the body is darn near flawless!
Driving the truck, I noticed that my Uncle had placed a set of small dice on the dashboard??? I wondered why till I was driving one day and noticed that the airbag warning/dummy light was flashing randomly, every few seconds. Ah HA!!! Nice way to hide a dummy light! Sliding the dice back over the annoying light I began to look for other problems. Well, I also found that the horn did not blow, nor did the steering wheel mounted cruise controls that turn on and off to set the cruise.
I checked both the under dash fuse box, and the larger fuse box under the hood, and all fuses were fine when tested. I do not have any type of decoding tool, so I could not test for anything like that.
Have any of you had a "Dead Steering Wheel" and flashing airbag light on your dash?
I welcome all of your comments, and suggestions as to at least figure a way to fix the horns, and the cruise control on what seems to be a dead steering wheel.

Thanks in advance all!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You most likely need a new clockspring. Google it, not that hard to replace. If you look at the light it should be blinking a code. It will blink a few times, a short pause, another set of blinks then a long pause before it blinks the code again. That way you can verify.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VickMacky,
Thanks for your suggestions. The blinking of the airbag light was not consistent and could not figure a running code...Why? Who knows. At any rate, I am going to change out the clockspring and see what happens. Thanks again for your suggestion! I will post as to what the outcome is.

Quick Reply: DEAD steering wheel controls. 1994.