Topic Sponsor

Cranks but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cranks but no spark

My 1987 F150 4x4 5.0 was starting and running OK. It is not driven often so sometimes it is a week or two between uses. Tried to start it last week and it would crank but would not start. Been throwing parts at it new parts so far are coil, distributor cap and rotor, ICM, condenser. Still no spark. What is my next move.

There were a lot of ants in the engine compartment is there some part they could have gotten into that would cause this no spark condition?

I live in a rural area and the owner of the only local shop passed away. Nearest shop is 20 miles away. I hired a guy who calls himself a mobile mechanic and he replaced the ICM and condenser. Also the inline fuel pump which is when I decided I had had enough as I doubt he ever tested for it prior to replacing the pump. I sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle body and got no response. Also bought a spark tester and tested after changing the distributor cap and coil.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Default Anyone?

Since I have replaced the coil, condenser, rotor, distributor cap, ignition control module, what's left? Pick up coil and distributor? Anything else that would be likely to cause a no spark issue? I would very much appreciate some advise.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by agassiz51
Since I have replaced the coil, condenser, rotor, distributor cap, ignition control module, what's left? Pick up coil and distributor? Anything else that would be likely to cause a no spark issue? I would very much appreciate some advise.
Have u checked your fuses..My 96 just died going down the road one day would turn over and not crank..Turned out the o2 sensor plug got against exhaust melted and was shorting out blowing the ecm fuse..
Old 11-26-2016, 03:01 PM

Check the fusible link for the computer.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 PM

Default Still no fire...

Recapping, the truck has been down for a while. No spark. I tried throwing parts at it without any luck. Rural area with no mechanics. Repair shop just opened up so I had the truck towed there to see what they could find. They replaced the computer and now have fire into the distributor but not out of the module. They tried several modules without luck. The guy says he is stumped. Any ideas? Throw them at me and I will pass them along. Thanks for your help. I don't want to give up on it as the body is in great shape and the engine has less than 100K on it.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

PIP.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM

Chris_1 I am sorry but I don't know what PIP means.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

PIP sensor or pickup coil is inside the distributor
Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
PIP sensor or pickup coil is inside the distributor
thanks for the suggestion. Drove by the shop and I was mistaken, he had said the was power into the ignition control module but not out of it to the distributor. Tried several ICM with no luck. He had already checked the PIP. Odd thing is he now has another 87 same model truck, with the same problem in his shop. Said that he has queried all his mechanic friends and searched online but nothing has worked yet.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Ignition relay ?

Quick Reply: Cranks but no spark