Topic Sponsor

Cold Start Problem 1990 5.0 V8

Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Problem 1990 5.0 V8

Hi there. This is the trouble with my 1990 ford 5.0L. It was sitting for about 2 years without being driven. It was driving and starting fine before it was stored. Now it doesn't start without starter fluid. After about 2 or 3 tries it starts and idles sluggishly. The check engine light is on but I can't get a reading from the EEC when I take it to the shop, nor if I try to jumper it at home. During the sluggish idling if I smash the gas it usually dies. But if I gently press it it slowly revs up. After it gets to operating temperature it suddenly clicks over and everything works fine. But the same thing every time its cold- won't start without starter fluid then runs fine after warming up.

Here's what I've done.

Checked for spark- fine.
Took out all the old gas, put in new gas.
Changed the fuel filter.
Checked for fuel pressure on the rail. It seems fine but I didn't have equipment to test it. What I did was turn the key on but not turn over the engine and just let the fuel pump run and pushed open the valve on the rail. Plenty of gas came out.
I got a new Throttle Position Sensor because I read somewhere that if the transmission is jumping and not shifting smoothly it is because of this. And that was another problem when I was driving it.

When I tried to start it without starter fluid and took out a plug there wasn't any fuel in the cylinder. But after I start it with starter fluid and it warms up, it runs just like its a new truck. At that point the check engine light goes off.

It seems like the injectors are not getting the signal to fire for some reason when the truck is cold or fuel isn't getting to them. Well if anyone had this problem and can tell me what to do or can direct me that would be really really great! Thanks a lot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Start Problem 1990 5.0 V8