Topic Sponsor

Cigar Lighter/Power Point Short Cicuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cigar Lighter/Power Point Short Cicuit

Hey, new to the forum here. I have a '96 F 150 XL 4x4, runs like a champ. Only issue at the current time is the fuses for BOTH the 12v Power Point and the cigar lighter in the ashtray blow as soon as anything is plugged into them. I tried replacing the sockets with new ones and tracing the wiring back behind the ashtray but still no luck. Any ideas as to where I can look closely at the wiring (common problem areas) and see if I can isolate the problem? Or should I just run new wires from the fusebox to the sockets and make a new dedicated ground for just the lighters?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Are you sure what you're plugging in isn't the problem? Does the cigarette lighter work when you push it in? If not sounds like you have a connector wire shorted. The connector for power to both sockets is in the middle of the dash towards the back.

Last edited by sylver91; 02-26-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 AM

I tried two different chargers and the lighter itself...any load on the socket causes it to blow the fuse. I replaced all the wires back to that 4-pin connector behind the ashtray and still no-go. I'll try replacing that connector and see how that goes I guess...
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Turns out my charger was shorted and caused a power wire to melt and short into the frame of the dash behind the instrument cluster. So I had both problems. Got a new charger and replaced the section of bad wire, everything is all good again now. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Cigar Lighter/Power Point Short Cicuit