Topic Sponsor

CB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB?

Hey guys!

I was wondering what CBs work best for that slot where the ash tray slide out is? I took that out and I want a CB in there.

Also I was thinking 102" Whip on the back. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

You'd need a very small cb. Cobra 19 or something along that line.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Also, the 102" is a good choice, but folds over allot at highway speed. I like a fiberglass firestick 4ft. or 6 ft mmounted inside the bed rail closer to the cab. Been doing cb and transmitter hunts for 25 years and they work great. Also, the firestick is tunable for swr measurement.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

I read about someone doing this with their bronco. It said if you put a cb in there you can use the wires from the cigaret lighter to power it. I like the idea but I need the plug in.

Edit: found this in my notes. "This is the cb i picked up off TRS. Its a Cobra WX ST II. The installation of it is very simple, and only took me about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Since i dont smoke, i opted to remove the ash tray and install the CB in its place. I used the power leads for the cigarette lighter for the CB. This way i didnt even have to run any wires through the dash! There was some modification made to the dash, as the CB was about a half inch wider than the tray, but it is only noticeable when the CB is removed."
Attached Thumbnails CB?-image-1454937232.jpg  

Last edited by Snaggletooth; 04-02-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

That actually looks really good right there!
Old 11-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Snaggletooth
I read about someone doing this with their bronco. It said if you put a cb in there you can use the wires from the cigaret lighter to power it. I like the idea but I need the plug in.

Edit: found this in my notes. "This is the cb i picked up off TRS. Its a Cobra WX ST II. The installation of it is very simple, and only took me about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Since i dont smoke, i opted to remove the ash tray and install the CB in its place. I used the power leads for the cigarette lighter for the CB. This way i didnt even have to run any wires through the dash! There was some modification made to the dash, as the CB was about a half inch wider than the tray, but it is only noticeable when the CB is removed."
Important to notice in the photo is the front-facing speaker. Most CB speakers face down and would be hard to hear in this installation without an external speaker. Also note the mic plugs into the front and not the side.