Topic Sponsor

"B" pillar safing sensor disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 PM
1994 F-150 4X4 5.0 XL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "B" pillar safing sensor disassembly

I replaced the sensor thinking that it was the cause of my airbag blinking light, but it was the ADM instead. I didn't want to put the old sensor back in he truck so I decided to take it apart...

After spending about 20 minutes prying the epoxy/glue/rubber out of the housing, this is what I ended up with. The broken wire is actually the ground wire going to the inside of the housing.

This photo shows that the upper grey ring was glued in place, but now spins freely due to me trying to take it off.

This is an up-close shot of the connector end. I'm hoping you can see the different colors of the wires.

Here is the back side of the unit that was buried in the module. Again, the loose wire is the module ground. The other four wires are paired up, and I did not find a resistor anywhere on the outside of the circuit board.

I was able to remove the magnet by using a drill bit to cut out the piece of plastic holding it in.

I removed the plastic stem and found a little surprise inside...

I was able to drill out the gold bearing, which revealed the gold plated contacts underneath. I think the magnet is designed to hold the gold ball away from the gold springs, and in an impact the ball will short the contacts. I do not see how these can go bad unless there's a loss of magnetism.

I'm hoping my little slideshow worked and you get to see the insides of an airbag sensor. I also hope this can aid you in troubleshooting any problems you might have with your airbag system.

Last edited by z-man1; 10-28-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error in title

Quick Reply: "B" pillar safing sensor disassembly