Topic Sponsor

australian delivered f150 inertia switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Gullygump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default australian delivered f150 inertia switch?

Hi all, recently purchased an 1990 F150, australian delivered, 351 windsor, 4x4 manual. Guy had it for ten years, and lately it started giving him trouble in that it would intermittantly stop. It is dual fuel, and so far I have traced the problem to the power wire that powers the fuel/gas solenoids. when you turn on the ignition, this wire powers up the fuel pump, or gas solenoid depending on where the switch is at, HERE COMES THE WEIRD PART: after the ignition is switched on, a moment later ( and its not always the same amount of time) it suddenly has no power....so if i start the truck it runs momentarily, or for a few seconds....sometimes even a few minutes. Then just stops. I was thinking it could be the inertia switch playing up? I can't find it on this truck. where exactly are they on australian trucks? Or any other thoughts on the problem?

cheers
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Not sure how they where made since everything is on the opposite side. On the North American trucks the inertia switch is located behind the passenger side kick panel which would be the drivers side for you or they could have moved it to the opposite side.

Now when you say you turn the key on, is that with the engine running or not? Cause when you turn the key to the on position the pump will run for about 2 seconds to build pressure, then when you start the engine it will continue to pump.

Try replacing the fuel pump relay, you can swap the horn relay with it as they are the same. If it does this with both pumps ave the fuel pressure tested and see what numbers it gives you, should be between 35-45 psi.

Pull the diagnostic codes as well.
The following users liked this post:
gullygump (01-07-2018)

Quick Reply: australian delivered f150 inertia switch?