Topic Sponsor

96 won't start or crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 won't start or crank

When I go to start my '96, I hear a single click from the solenoid, but nothing else happens. I replaced the solenoid to no avail. I can run a jumper cable from the positive terminal on the battery to the power terminal on the starter, and the truck starts right up (using the key). So I figure it's one of the power cables between between the battery, the solenoid and the starter.

Can someone tell me which cable to replace, or how I can check?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,834 Posts

check the neg. battery terminal and the grounds
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Read a book..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are battery posts and cable ends shiny-clean?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this same issue. just a click and nothing. I can jump the 2 posts of starter solenoid and it cranks. I've replaced starter, alternator , starter solenoid, rewired the clutch safety switch and still. Worked fine 1 day and next day nothing from now on. I also installed new battery and posts. Would it be an issue with the positive wire or the ground wire causing the issue. They are like $40 each from ford but don't want to keep replacing and not fix the problem.

Not stealing thread just trying to help by saying don't spend the money on these things cause I've tried almost everything with no results.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like the cable from the battery to the solenoid. Take the cable off the solenoid and put your jumper cable to there and from the battery and see what happens. If that don`t do it check the volts on the battery when turning the key, follow those volt numbers to each point and when it drops you found your weak leak. Check and clean post and all the ground cables.

Quick Reply: 96 won't start or crank