Topic Sponsor

96 F250 Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 F250 Starting issues

Hi Everyone, Sorry to jump right in with problems. Hoping you can help.

I left my lights on and battery died. Used a jumper box to stat it once and let it run but when I turned it off nothing again. Tried charging overnight with no luck. I get a single click and then no power at all. Cleaned all connections and same problem. I have since replaced solenoid on fender and put in a new battery. I found two ground straps that had rusted loose at one end and replaced them (frame to passenger side body & front cross member to support below the radiater). Dome light works strong until I turn ignition and everything dies after one short click. When I put on headlights everything dies. If I jump the relay/solenoid I get nothing but some minor spark but no clicks.

Any suggestions. This is geting old. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Did you check the ground cable that runs down the the frame to starter?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I came out on day and had a starting issue. I replaced the positive to the relay (the relay also) and the positive down to the starter. It started fine. Eventually replaced the smaller wire from the relay to the starter solenoid on the starter. If not mistaken, that wire kicks the starter into action. The old wires seamed fine but were corroded deep in.

Quick Reply: 96 F250 Starting issues