Topic Sponsor

96 carb swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 carb swap?

I am thinking about swapping my 351 in a 96 f150 4x4 for a carbureted 460, now what pitfalls would I encounter? What about my speedo?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It won't be emissions legal.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
It won't be emissions legal.
I'm from Saskatchewan Canada it isn't an issue
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Clownhater13
I'm from Saskatchewan Canada it isn't an issue
Its still not emissions legal, Its a nation wide standard to have all the factory emissions equipment installed for that year of vehicle. We don't have emissions in northern Ontario either but they still busted my brother in law's truck for simply not having the A.I.R pump on his 85 F150. That was a 315$ fine.

Besides there is a ton of modifications to get a carburated engine to work in an electronically controlled engine. You would have to upgrade the transmission because you're current one will not bolt up, if its an automatic it won't work either because of the missing input from the electronic controls on the engine. Not to mention the wiring needed to get everything to work properly.

You would be better buying a carburated truck and doing the swap into that.

Last edited by sylver91; 08-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

If your brother got a $315 ticket he should have taken it to court. They can't just search for missing emissions equipment all ***** nilly. They need reason to suspect something has been modified to look. A missing air pump would be undetectable without opening the hood, it doesn't make a special noise if it's gone.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Most people don't know their rights, so they asked to open the hood and he did. They do open the hood and look and check for missing catalytic converters and other smog equipment. He is going to court for it cause the stupid thing doesn't even have to be working, it just has to be bolted to the bracket. Thing is it was never installed when he bought the truck and had it safetied cause we don't have emissions testing but they still do a blitz each year and pull unsafe cars off the road and give tickets to people.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by sylver91
Most people don't know their rights, so they asked to open the hood and he did. They do open the hood and look and check for missing catalytic converters and other smog equipment. He is going to court for it cause the stupid thing doesn't even have to be working, it just has to be bolted to the bracket. Thing is it was never installed when he bought the truck and had it safetied cause we don't have emissions testing but they still do a blitz each year and pull unsafe cars off the road and give tickets to people.
I'm aware of the wiring nightmare but I'm told there is a wiring harness you can get for this? I also forgot to mention it comes with a c6 with shift kit and I use this truck off road a lot and recently have been putting it in cmro mud drags this is just a toy
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the easiest way to do a carb swap.

for a 460, your going to need the frame mounts for the engine, and trans.

then i would just leave all of the wiring off the engine, and put an HEI one wire distributer in. then all you have to do is find one 12v wire that has power with the key on. and no power with the key off. this will take care of all the engine wiring.

as far as the fuel delivery, I'm not sure if a sending unit off an older carbed truck will fit in a EFI trucks tank, but you can try, worst thing you will have to get a fuel tank off of a carbed truck, they are perfect swaps so you just unbolt one and bolt the other back up. then run fuel line either to a electric pump or a mechanical one on the engine.

then get you a starter off of an EFI 460. and the factory starting system will not have to be changed at all.

your also going to have to upgrade your front coils too, the f250 2x4 front coils are direct swaps.

Quick Reply: 96 carb swap?