Topic Sponsor

96 4.9 sporaticaly dies

Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 4.9 sporaticaly dies

this prob is driving me nutz. occassionally the motor will just die or not start. the other day it up and died at 35mph. shows CSL but no codes are ever found. sometimes it wont start hot or cold. Iwait a min. or 2 and zoom it starts and runs fine for a week or even a month. go out to start and just cranks away. I have tred coils, crank sensors and pcm module replacements. the only thing I have determined is that when cranking and no start there is no high volts to plugs. When running I have tried pulling tapping and twisting every damn wire and harness and it just keeps running fine. tommorrow I could start it and it might die halfway down the street. wait a min. try again and off you go for maybe a month. Very dangerous when it quits while driving at speed. OH, All connector's have been cleaned and greased This problem I just don't have a clue. any suggestions cause I need help. Tony
Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Run some test on you PIP sensor. It's a common problem. It's located in the distributor and can be replaced. I found it easier to replace the whole thing with a new distributor. Re-man. distributors don't always replace the sensor. O'Reilly's has a Richporter for $94 (here in Raleigh) that I used and not had that problem in 42k miles.

I can almost guarantee that's the problem, I just don't like to have someone spend their money without checking.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, i will get a NEW dist. and give it a try. doesn't look too hard to replace tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 4.9 sporaticaly dies