Topic Sponsor

95' XLT will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' XLT will not start

My 95' XLT will not start. Battery gauge shows 8-9 volts when I initially turn the key on. When I turn the key to start the truck the volts go to "0" and no activation of the starter. No clicking of the solenoid or anything. I assumed the battery was bad due to its age. (4 years old). Replaced the battery and the problem still remains. Any ideas.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I would first check your positive and negative cables. Check for corrosion in the cables as well as the ends. Somewhere it sounds like you have a bad connection. I once had a wire ground out that blew a fuse in the box under the hood. You might want to check them if you have it. That was a dead start for me.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Hello Memoniz

I checked all of the wiring to the battery and terminals, everything looks good. I did short across the solenoid terminals with the key on and the truck started. So, I replaced the solenoid. No change. I can only assume that the solenoid is not getting current when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. I checked the fuse box and all of the fuses are in good shape. I'm assuming the ignition switch has gone bad.
Your thoughts or other ideas?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry I'd hadn't gotten back. Did you find the problem? I'm not that much of an electrical kind of guy. If you have a Chilton's or Haynes book, check the schismatic on your starting system. On the solenoid (relay in Haynes book) on the fender wall, there is a smaller wire that connects to a smaller threaded rod. I had that in the wrong place when I changed mine and the truck would not do a thing. I think that's the wire from the ignition to the relay to tell it to start working. Check the length of that wire and double check to see if every wire is in its right place. If everything on the truck works with the switch in the on position but you get nothing in the start position, then more than likely it's something other then the switch. If everything is going dead in the start position, it sounds like it's grounding out. If things don't work in the on position, then I would check the switch.

Take it with a grain of salt though, I've learned all my electrical knowledge (which is not much) on a need to know basis.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Hello Memoniz
Thanks agin for the reply. Looks like the issue was the solenoid. After replacing the solenoid the truck still wouldn't start with out jumping over the terminals of the solenoid. So, at that point I drove it to a mechanic and had him look at it. As things would be he questioned me as to what had transposed and what I had replaced. First thing he did was try to start the truck with the key switch, and guess what, it started. It's started every time sense then. So, I still have no clue why it wouldn't start when I replaced the solenoid, but it starts now.
Thank you again for the assistance, it was very much appreciated. Have a great day.

Quick Reply: 95' XLT will not start