Topic Sponsor

95 f150 stalls

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 f150 stalls

im new here and a new ford owner. i bought a 95 f150 4.9 5-speed 2-wd truck a couple of weeks ago and it is a nightmare so far. it stalled the second day i had it and i did the normal, replaced the coil cap rotor plugs and wires. no fix. then replaced ICM and nothing. tested the new and old ICM and both were good. tested the "pick-up coil" or the PIP and it tested good(i belive they are the same thing). at last i replaced the computer and that night it didnt work but it fired up the next morning. the truck ran good for 5 days and died again today and had to be towed home by a friend but in route it started running again. WHAT AM I MISSING!?!? i feel it has to be something simple. please help
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a car that did this and it was the mass airflow sensor...maybe try that
The following users liked this post:
gungho (12-31-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

My truck did the same thing and it only gets worse. It's the distributor. If you have the TFI ignition system, the distributor sensors go bad (the pip or the "hayes system"). I read that some people change them but I bought a new on at O'rielly's for $100.00. My truck would cut off like someone turned off a switch and then later start up again. My truck is a '96 w/4.9 4 speed auto. Since I have replaced it, I haven't had a problem since, and that was 1500 miles ago. You can probably buy one at a junk yard and try it out first for less, but eventually you will need a new one if you want it to last.
The following users liked this post:
gungho (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think we got it

I didn't try the MAF yet but I did go ahead and put a new distributor in about a week ago and so far no stalls. Thanks for the info. If it stalls again I'll do the MAF next.

Quick Reply: 95 f150 stalls