Topic Sponsor

95 f150 dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 95 f150 dash

I saw (thought I did) a thread about how to repair a odometer/speed-o. Mine dash is all good except for the speed-o and LCD mileage.

Anyone remember this or am I mistaken? search returned a bunch of NA stuff.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm not sure what you're saying what your problem is. If the odometer mileage just doesn't light up and the speedometer needle doesn't move, check the fuses under the dash. Numbers 8 and 18 I think.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Same fuse as the interior light. If not that you may have to change the PSOM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Checked the fuses all is good there,

to clarify, everything on my dash works except the speed-o (needle does not move to indicate speed) and the LCD for the current mileage does not come on.

Educate me please.......PSOM?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 AM

PSOM - programmable speedometer / odometer module. I just bumped up a post called changing the PSOM.
So just to clarify that it's not a fuse - your interior light works, right ?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Correct. Interior light works as well as the other gauges on the cluster.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 PM

Probably the PSOM. You'll want to make sure it's plugged in properly. You would have to pull the cluster out to check that - it's the center plug (there are 3 back there).
But if it's plugged in, the fuse is good and the odometer doesn't even light up, I would suspect the speedo unit itself (PSOM) as the most likely culprit.
The cluster itself is fairly year specific, but the PSOM itself fits across the board of 92-96 f - series. However the later ones (94-5-6) were upgraded to be less sensitive to a weak VSS signal, so the later ones are preferable if you're shopping for one.
Also bear in mind that the mileage of your truck is recorded in the PSOM, so if you're buying a used one (you can't buy new ones), whatever mileage was on the truck it came out of is what yours is going to now show. That can not be changed.
If it's not the fuse, not the plug in and not the PSOM, that would mean a wiring problem that sounds like a possible nightmare, so cross your fingers that it's just the PSOM ($50 used) because they do screw up sometimes after 20 years.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Probably the PSOM. You'll want to make sure it's plugged in properly. You would have to pull the cluster out to check that - it's the center plug (there are 3 back there).
But if it's plugged in, the fuse is good and the odometer doesn't even light up, I would suspect the speedo unit itself (PSOM) as the most likely culprit.
The cluster itself is fairly year specific, but the PSOM itself fits across the board of 92-96 f - series. However the later ones (94-5-6) were upgraded to be less sensitive to a weak VSS signal, so the later ones are preferable if you're shopping for one.
Also bear in mind that the mileage of your truck is recorded in the PSOM, so if you're buying a used one (you can't buy new ones), whatever mileage was on the truck it came out of is what yours is going to now show. That can not be changed.
If it's not the fuse, not the plug in and not the PSOM, that would mean a wiring problem that sounds like a possible nightmare, so cross your fingers that it's just the PSOM ($50 used) because they do screw up sometimes after 20 years.
Thanks for the response. Going out of town for work, I will tackle this next weekend. Out of courosity is a blown fuse a common problem? I checked them all, never looked nor found a specific fuse for the cluster. If it is labeled interior light I will verify that before hand.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Interior light, PSOM and I think the lighter maybe are on the same fuse.

Quick Reply: 95 f150 dash