Topic Sponsor

95 f150 charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 f150 charging issue

My truck isn't charging at all. I have been reading forums and everyone has been mentioning fusible links. Wish I would have seen all these posts before I put the brand new alternator in. Anyways. Can anyone tell me where exactly they are and what they look like for the charging system? I check the fuses in the fuse box and they all seem fine. And the part that confuses me is that the battery light isn't on even though it's not charging. I'd like to fix it right but I really don't want to have to rip out my complete wiring harness. Just got this truck so I am new to the whole f150 scene. I'm use to mustangs. It's a 1995 f150 2wd with the inline 6.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Fusible link should be in-wire between the alternator and the solenoid
Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Fusible link should be in-wire between the alternator and the solenoid
Thanks Chris. Another question. There is a yellow wire running from the charging system over to the fuse box under the hood. Would that have a fusible link? I'm also thinking of replacing the little wires that go to the back of the alternator. Like the green one with the stripe. Do they need fusible links on them? And my last question. The green wire with the stripe has a connector that is attached to the fender (like you clip the two ends together), are those things ever fusible links or anything fancy like that? Those male and female connectors that are squarish and slide together with the clip. Sorry. I don't know what exactly they are called!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM

I'm not that familiar with all that without looking under my hood (and it's raining) but the fusible link would want to be in the big power out wire that feeds juice to the battery. That should be the one that's bolted on to the back of the alternator, I believe.
purpose would be to keep a run away alternator from frying your whole wiring system.
I don't know if there's much point having them in the other places.
That's just all off the top of my head; somebody else may chime in with something more definitive for you.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM

Default Fixed It and thought I would share

So I ended up returning the stock alternator replacement that I had bought and put a 135 amp alternator in.
- I upgraded all the charging wires to 1 awg wires. Ran a 1 awg wire from the alternator to a 150 amp circuit breaker which I bolted to the fender, then from the circuit breaker to the starter selenoid, and then from the starter selenoid to the battery.
- I cut open that rubber boot with the two eyelets sticking out that connects to the starter selenoid to see if there is any fusible links in there (there isn't so don't waist your time with that)
- I added a cab to frame ground, battery to frame ground, and battery to fender ground. I did this mainly because of my sound system.

Basically my fusible like were in the former of one wire being turned into two side by side and then connected to the eyelet which connected to the starter selenoid. I couldn't really tell if the wires were fried but I'm assuming so because it's now charging without a problem.

Basically the alternator wasn't the problem. I just did that and the additional grounds for my soundsystem.

Basically just get the right size circuit breaker, cut the fusible links off and either re do all the wires or just connect to the already existing wire where you cut it.

I don't know if my way is the most brilliant way or whatever but please feel free to comment with some insight. Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfraser
So I ended up returning the stock alternator replacement that I had bought and put a 135 amp alternator in.
- I upgraded all the charging wires to 1 awg wires. Ran a 1 awg wire from the alternator to a 150 amp circuit breaker which I bolted to the fender, then from the circuit breaker to the starter selenoid, and then from the starter selenoid to the battery.
- I cut open that rubber boot with the two eyelets sticking out that connects to the starter selenoid to see if there is any fusible links in there (there isn't so don't waist your time with that)
- I added a cab to frame ground, battery to frame ground, and battery to fender ground. I did this mainly because of my sound system.

Basically my fusible like were in the former of one wire being turned into two side by side and then connected to the eyelet which connected to the starter selenoid. I couldn't really tell if the wires were fried but I'm assuming so because it's now charging without a problem.

Basically the alternator wasn't the problem. I just did that and the additional grounds for my soundsystem.

Basically just get the right size circuit breaker, cut the fusible links off and either re do all the wires or just connect to the already existing wire where you cut it.

I don't know if my way is the most brilliant way or whatever but please feel free to comment with some insight. Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!

I'm hoping to do the same with mine. Where did you get the wire and circuit breaker? Did you make it up yourself, or was there one available with the connections already on it? And did you have any issues with swapping to the new alternator (mounting, fit, etc)? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Reply

I have a 95 f150 xl with the inline six. As far as installing the new alternator goes, the factory mount has the mounting spots for both alternators. Just have to use the holes that are closer to the passenger side. I didn't even have to change the belt. Yup! Using the same belt and it fits just fine.
As far as the wires are concerned, I made them all myself as far as cutting them to length and putting the connectors on the end. I just hammer them tight with the pointy end of a autobody hammer, soldered a bit and then shrink tubed them. I'm from Canada so I'm not sure on the availability of these parts where your from but I got all my parts from lordco up here. Any auto parts store should have the wire in a roll where you can buy it by the foot. If not that, I'm pretty sure a car audio place or a general electrical place would have the wire.

The circuit breaker is easy to find. Most auto parts stores should carry them. Summit racing does. And lordco does. But I got mine used from a buddy.

Only thing is you have to brake the plastic part on the back of the alternator off where the wire bolts on otherwise the ring terminal won't fit. I did that and haven't had any issues.
But feel free to ask away if you have anymore questions.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by clintm6
I'm hoping to do the same with mine. Where did you get the wire and circuit breaker? Did you make it up yourself, or was there one available with the connections already on it? And did you have any issues with swapping to the new alternator (mounting, fit, etc)? Thanks!
I replied
Old 03-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Everything you did is good, the only thing you really didn't need is the extra wire from the solenoid over to the battery - you already have the big red one doing that.
Won't hurt anything, it's just redundant. The rest all sounds good though.

Quick Reply: 95 f150 charging issue