Topic Sponsor

'94 finicky starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '94 finicky starting

Hi there. Budding home mechanic here new to the forum, but long time reader. I've found a lot of help here browsing so I thought I'd throw my question out there. Forgive me if the answer is obvious.

For about three weeks I've had occasional trouble starting my truck, it's the 5l v8, xlt. The starter sounds strong but sometimes just won't engage. There is a good click, and electric to all components, and the fuel pump does start, I believe.

On two occasions it just started randomly after some humming and hawing in the engine compartment, and a third time I actually held the key to start for several seconds when it just magically came to life.

To be clear, when it happens there is a click, then nothing, with good power to the accessories, and a strong sounding starter once it does come to life.

Any ideas as to what I should be checking for? I have pretty limited mechanical knowledge but I can do some things.

If it matters, I did recently change the plugs, wires, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter, but it was a couple weeks after that the problem began. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are hearing just a click, then generally that is the starter relay on the firewall next to the battery. Some people call it a solenoid. I would check your battery connections first. Corrosion at the terminals, loose connection, or bad wire can cause that click at the relay also. Some people will jump the relay with a screw driver to check it. If the starter engages when it's jumped, then it's the relay. It's a cheap part, and easy to replace. If the starter doesn't engage, it could be your starter solenoid. Anyways, I'm rambling. I'd check that first.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Default thanks

Ah yes,I recall jumping the solenoid on an old Volvo I had. I started it with the dipstick for months.
Anyway, it's a new battery and new terminals, but I cleaned up the connections at the starter relay. It's not happening now, but that doesn't mean much. When and if it happens again, I'll try jumping the relay, I sure wish the problem wasn't so intermittent, it might be easier to identify.

Chilton was no help in finding the starter, so I'll get a Hayne's and clean up those connections, maybe redo all the wiring with 4 AWG and new terminals for good measure.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 PM

Default thanks

Ah yes,I recall jumping the solenoid on an old Volvo I had. I started it with the dipstick for months.
Anyway, it's a new battery and new terminals, but I cleaned up the connections at the starter relay. It's not happening now, but that doesn't mean much. When and if it happens again, I'll try jumping the relay, I sure wish the problem wasn't so intermittent, it might be easier to identify.

Chilton was no help in finding the starter, so I'll get a Hayne's and clean up those connections, maybe redo all the wiring with 4 AWG and new terminals for good measure.

Quick Reply: '94 finicky starting