Topic Sponsor

90' 5.0 standard (5 speed) electrical issue involving heater/ wipers/ radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90' 5.0 standard (5 speed) electrical issue involving heater/ wipers/ radio

Bought my beautiful 1990 F-150 a few months ago. Had to replace the fuel pump relay a month ago. That was the early scare that seems to be developing into a nightmare. I haven't had an issue with her after I replaced the relay. When I bought the truck (on a warm day) in October the heater worked. Now in the colder mornings I have noticed the heat or blower not working. I don't have a long ride to work so didn't worry about it much. After a stopped at the store on Monday night she wouldn't start. Just a click (no turning over). Push started and drove away, mile down the road the headlights started deeming, the dashboards lights started deeming. Puttered to the parts store and had the battery charged. It was no good (says the douche bag Advanced manager that couldn't even locate the starter). I Replaced the alternator and battery in the parking lot. She still wouldn't start but we push started again and she seemed to be okay. Everything maintained power so I thought I just need a starter. Replaced starter last night and she started right up. Again thought I was good but the anti-lock brake light was on for the first time. It was a cold night so the heat again wasn't working right after start up but I just let her run for a little. I noticed for the first time the radio was completely off and the wipers wont turn on. As she warmed up the blow kicked on and I heard the truck rev down. When I turn the heat off/on the volt meter, will drop from (13-14) to (9-10). When I put my foot on the brake the engine will rev down.

Please help

Kenny
Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

There is a known problem with F series trucks of this vintage. It is the connector that plugs into the alternator. If yours has never been replaced or is not in good shape, I suspect this may be your problem.

The fix is to buy the replacement pigtail and solder it onto the existing wiring. These pigtails are readily available at many parts stores.

This may not be your problem, but it is sure the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks I will

Quick Reply: 90' 5.0 standard (5 speed) electrical issue involving heater/ wipers/ radio