Topic Sponsor

89 f150 no power at all

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 f150 no power at all

Not sure but may have followed bad advice. Have a 89 with a 5.0 302. Was doing a simple starter relay swap, was having to jump the thing with a screwdriver. Friend told me I was putting wires back wrong,that all should be on left post with pos battery cable and just starter wire on right lug. Wasn't the way it came off, but I did anyway. Had power turned key and eveythng went dead. No power anywhere. Put it back the way it was,nothing. Mind you I did have battery undone both times.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Is it possible I blew the fusible links, I pulled on them, no stretching etc. What else should I be looking for
Old 11-28-2016, 02:17 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

If your truck is wired up like a stock factory 1989 all the wires should go on one of the large solenoid posts along with the positive battery cable, except for the cable going down to the starter, unless there is some extra wire that should activate when you hit the starter. How was yours wired up?

Usually the mass of wires is on the solenoid bolt farthest from the battery, But I don't think it would matter as long as the grouping of wire(s) is all on one correct bolt.

Anyway I would look for somewhat loose or dirty connection or a bad battery cable. There is a small possibility that your battery shorted out internally. Always wear atleast decent eye protection when working near a battery.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:47 AM

Everything was wired to the far post WITH the starter cable. Only the pos. Battery cable on the front post closest to the battery. When I reversed it,and put everything with the pos.battery cable on the front post and just starter cable on the rear, I had power,hit the key then lost everything. No panel lights when key is on,no headlights no nothing. Complete power loss. I don't even get that Lil spark when attaching the battery cables themselves. So is it possible it messed up the battery? Or is there something else I should be looking for,like fuse wise?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 AM

The motor was swapped to a 87 mustang 5.0 GO but wiring looks factory
Old 11-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesk
Everything was wired to the far post WITH the starter cable. Only the pos. Battery cable on the front post closest to the battery.
Hmmm. I don't know how anything would work that way UNLESS you have a cable running directly to the starter from the positive battery post SUCH AS the 1992 and newer trucks, a split cable coming off the positive battery post. This would require a 1992 or newer starter. That still would not be the correct way to wire a 1992 or newer starter.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesk
I had power,hit the key then lost everything. No panel lights when key is on,no headlights no nothing. Complete power loss. I don't even get that Lil spark when attaching the battery cables themselves. So is it possible it messed up the battery? Or is there something else I should be looking for,like fuse wise?
There is a slight possibility that the battery messed up. But I would first be looking for a loose or dirty connection, then and only then a bad cable. Don't forget about the other end of the negative battery cable where it connects. Get the connections shiny clean and make sure they tighten up properly.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 PM

It's just confuses me why I had power,then when I hit the key I lost it. To me seems like a fuse.....I'm gonna work on it this weekend. To dark when I get home from work during the week. Keep ya posted. Thanks for the advice.